Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rudder or not?

You guys running with a place diverter, are you using a rudder? Just bought the boat 6 weeks ago. Added a new rudder for the 12JE. Just purchased a "Place diverter" and installed. Unfortunatly I didn't see the part that said ORIGINAL RUDDER DOESN'T WORK, YOU NEED A NEW RUDDER THAT FITS THE PLACE DIVERTER. Kinda wished it would have said that when I bought the diverter, I would have purchased one. WOW, talk about a E-TICKET RIDE! I had to change my BVD'S. Man what a ride. Do all you guy's run a rudder? Or am I just crazy? Any body want to buy a rudder for a 12JE 3 weeks old? Let me know, I'll make you a deal.

MudPumper
    This has been covered a million times. Shit can the rudder. I don't care what anybody says, it does nothing to help steer the boat.

boats&bars
    This has been covered a million times. Shit can the rudder. I don't care what anybody says, it does nothing to help steer the boat.
    I guess the engeneers at place and berkley put it there for shits and giggles....

boats&bars
    You guys running with a place diverter, are you using a rudder? Just bought the boat 6 weeks ago. Added a new rudder for the 12JE. Just purchased a "Place diverter" and installed. Unfortunatly I didn't see the part that said ORIGINAL RUDDER DOESN'T WORK, YOU NEED A NEW RUDDER THAT FITS THE PLACE DIVERTER. Kinda wished it would have said that when I bought the diverter, I would have purchased one. WOW, talk about a E-TICKET RIDE! I had to change my BVD'S. Man what a ride. Do all you guy's run a rudder? Or am I just crazy? Any body want to buy a rudder for a 12JE 3 weeks old? Let me know, I'll make you a deal.
    what is the size and weight of the boat. my daycruiser steers real bad without a rudder.

Mike, you don't use a rudder? I can't believe that you don't use one. What a change it made when I added the rudder when I didn't have the diverter. I took it out to test it, without a rudder after installing the diverter and all it did was yaw back and forth, I couldn't run a straight line if my live depended on it! Even at idle, back and forth, more so than it did without the diverter. I'm makin a big deal about it cause at 47, I'm in the heart attack years. I can't keep thinking about how it acted like it was on ice at high speeds. What do the rest of you guy's think. To you guys that don't have them, what are you experiencing? It weighs about 1400 lbs, and 16ft.

Heatseeker
    IMHO, rudders on jets are completely useless.

Heatseaker, it doesn't make a differance weather you have one on your boat or not? It doesn't handle ANY different? Mine was night and day different. You've been around these for awhile, why does this make such a difference on my boat and not on yours?

MudPumper
    Mike, you don't use a rudder? I can't believe that you don't use one. What a change it made when I added the rudder when I didn't have the diverter. I took it out to test it, without a rudder after installing the diverter and all it did was yaw back and forth, I couldn't run a straight line if my live depended on it! Even at idle, back and forth, more so than it did without the diverter. I'm makin a big deal about it cause at 47, I'm in the heart attack years. I can't keep thinking about how it acted like it was on ice at high speeds. What do the rest of you guy's think. To you guys that don't have them, what are you experiencing? It weighs about 1400 lbs, and 16ft.
    Nope, 3 boats and never needed one. I don't feel it does anything for control at speed or at idle. If it works for you then run it. I don't know anybody with a jet that runs one.

Ken F
    They WILL do one thing for you. Slow you down.

MudPumper
    I guess the engeneers at place and berkley put it there for shits and giggles....
    Who knows. Just because an engineer designs something and puts it on doesn't mean it's worth a shit. Maybe it was something they need to get past insurance. Who knows? I don't see new 21 jets coming out of the factory with rudders on the jets. Why not?:idea: If it works for you great, my opinion is that they are worthless.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast