Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLYWHEEL OR FLEXPLATE

76 sanger hydro
    IN MY 76 SKI HYDRO DO I RUN A FLYWHEEL OR A FLEXFLATE WHAT ARE ADVANTAGES AND DIS ADVANTAGES OF EACH THANKS ALL

Fired Up
    I would like to add to your question. If you run a flex plate you need to add what is called a "Button". This I guess makes up the distance between the flex plate and drive shaft that a thicker flywheel would be. My question is: How is a button attached? Is it bolted on the flexplate with the existing bolts?

boat030
    go with the flexplate, the button is attached to the same holes as the flexplate you just bolt the whole package on at once make sure you use some lock tight on the bolts. I might be wrong on this but i think the main advantage is just the weight difference. somebody that knows more about motors could answer that part.

LeE ss13
    Under NO circumstances should you use an automotive flexplate. Because they have no Torque Converter to hold them ridged, they flex and break around the center. Tom Label of Auto Marine Engineering in Glendora CA was in his race boat on the holding rope at Phoenix when the guy next to him started his engine and the flex plate he was running came apart and sent a six inch piece of the ring gear into Tom's shoulder. It had to be surgically removed. He still has the X-ray. Now they do make an after market flex plate that is welded all the way around and much thicker. I have seen the drag guys use them. Most of us circle guys use lightened aluminum high performace flywheels. Just my $ .13 ...
    --------
    LeE ss13

boat030
    i believe the one we use is from B&M.

restofreak
    We have been using flexplates on all our jets and flats for over 30 years, and on all our customers perf boats. From low HP to high HP and never seen one come apart or had any trouble of any kind. Only disadvantage I know of is when you come off the throttle there is no enertia so RPM drops off "right now". My .02.

superdave013
    I use flex plates but only SFI approved ones. They are way thicker. One thing though is if you are externally balanced the weight on the flex plate might hit the engine plate.

schiada96
    I use a flywheel it will help if the boat leaves the water not to over rev too fast, and also on the load back into the water not so much shock on the crank. my 02

superdave013
    Originally posted by schiada96:
    I use a flywheel it will help if the boat leaves the water not to over rev too fast, and also on the load back into the water not so much shock on the crank. my 02
    Ok, you got me on that one. I ran flex plates on my flats.
    Flywheel on the cruiser as quick reving is not the main concern.

schiada96
    Ok you got me on that one too its just what Lee told me. We need to get together and get those transitions done.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast