Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First boat build, advice?

Fogducker
    New to the site, have looked around for a while, great info and entertaining! lol
    I am in the process of putting together my first "performance" boat. I have boated all my life, mainly fishing, prawning and pleasure boating in small run-abouts. I have a few friends who race boats locally and I have been in a few local Poker runs, I now have the urge and $$$ to do a mild performance boat for myself........well enough blabbing.............
    I plan on putting a 1969 396 BBC that I have all rebuilt and ready to go into a 25ft Donzi, question is, what outdrive should I marry to this and what type of exhaust system should I look for? It will be raw water cooled. I am not particular about brand but one outdrive I was told to stay away from was OMC? Apparently parts, especially here on the West Coast of Canada, are hard to find and will get even harder to find....?
    I don't want to break the sound barrier, I know, I won't in a 25ft with maybe 400hp, but I want something dependable and fun. Thanks for any input. Jeremy

deeee
    Is this used boat. If it is whats on now for a outdrive.

Fogducker
    Yes it is a used boat, there is no power or outdrive, I have the power and looking for outdrive choices..........

Daytona100
    A Bravo-1 would probably be your best choice. Mike:idea:

Fogducker
    Anybody know anything about Volvo outdrive units, I found an SX and was told they are bullet proof...??
    I am leaning towards Bravo 1 but checking all the options.............

deeee
    You sort of need to find out what it was set up for because you might have to fill the hole and re cut a new one depending on drive selection.

Fogducker
    The boat originally had a 454 or 502 according to the seller, it appears to be a Bravo hole pattern, will Volvo match up?

Boatlesss
    Scrap the 396, GO BIG, (502 ish) and get a good B1.
    Stay away from Volvo or OMC. If you want any speed or technical help with your boat.

Fogducker
    Thanks for the advice about the outdrive, I will stick with the 396, I already have it and it is built and ready to go, so it would be silly looking fro a 454, 496, 502 or similar..........

pw_Tony
    Thanks for the advice about the outdrive, I will stick with the 396, I already have it and it is built and ready to go, so it would be silly looking fro a 454, 496, 502 or similar..........
    Quit messing with these outdrives and such that just break...
    Get a jet, better suited for a 396.
    But if you had to get an outdrive boat a Bravo1 witha BIGGER motor would be best suited, under 400Cubic Inches just ain't enough...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast