Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First boat build, advice?

Fogducker
    Jets don't really suit the salt water around here, too much seaweed, sand, chunks of wood and seals!!!:sqeyes:

deeee
    The only thing Ive noticed it seems like you get better deal if you buy complete mercruiser package then trying to buy the drive by itself.

BDMar
    Quit messing with these outdrives and such that just break...
    Get a jet, better suited for a 396.
    But if you had to get an outdrive boat a Bravo1 witha BIGGER motor would be best suited, under 400Cubic Inches just ain't enough...
    Great advice, a jet in a 25' Donzi
    The 396 will work just fine. Bravo I would be the best choice. You can find them pretty reasonable. I think it is going to be harder to find a good transom assembly. Make sure if you buy used that it comes with all the parts. Shift bracket, trim pump & hoses, power stering cylinder, etc. Your expense is going to be all the parts neede to make it work. Wire loom, alternator, starter, power steering pump, bellhousing, coupler, etc.
    Sometimes it is cheaper to buy the complete package unless you have the time & patience to search out all the parts.

Fogducker
    Excellent reply, thanks! I found a FULL package on Ebay. Bravo 1 from a 454 with EVERYTHING from the steering wheel back, including fresh water cooling system, ALL the wiring, power trim unit, exhausts with risers and I even get the anodized gauges!! There are a lot of extra parts and misc stuff from a hull that was wrecked but internally it was fine...............best part, delivered to my door, $3000..............:sqeyes:
    Bottom line, 1986 25' Donzi with a Myco trailer, all the parts to link up the engine and a fresh 396 BBC for under $15k...........I am a happy camper.......

BDMar
    That sounds like a great deal! Check everything carefully before you install any parts to save headaches later.

Fogducker
    Roger, plan on dropping the leg and checking fluids etc. Got all the new gaskets and fittings for lines that might be 'iffy', anything to watch for other than lining up the drive spline?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12