Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint my Scoop

Fired Up
    I picked up a fiberglass scoop and base for my boat. I sanded it and painted it with primer gray then wet sanded it smooth to get rid of the scratches and blemishes. I want to paint it next, but wasn't sure if that is what you do. Is automotive enamel used or is gelcoat sprayed on? I have a lo press/ hi vol sprayer and feel I can tackle a simple job like this. I'm painting it white with tape on graphics later. Any suggestions??

Sangster
    Jest squirt it with paint..Gel Coat will not stick good to the Primer..Lot less work to paint..

btbuilder2
    sangster you right in the point of it being less work , but the paint wont hold up like the gelcoat will,to vibrations, and and the movement on the water, gelcoat will also hold a better shine, just coming from my experineces!!!!

Fired Up
    I can easily sand off the primer if need be. When you say paint won't hold up do you mean it will flake off or it will fade soon? Are there other paints that would be better, like acrylics?

btbuilder2
    yes there are better paints, but gel i think would really be the best, i found it to be the best for me, and yes paint will crack soon and fade faster!!!

SUI-CY-COLE
    leave a message for bagpipes...he owns rossi auto body...real nice stuff.....ask him he'll help ya.....

BILLY.B
    Fired Up:
    I picked up a fiberglass scoop and base for my boat. I sanded it and painted it with primer gray then wet sanded it smooth to get rid of the scratches and blemishes. I want to paint it next, but wasn't sure if that is what you do. Is automotive enamel used or is gelcoat sprayed on? I have a lo press/ hi vol sprayer and feel I can tackle a simple job like this. I'm painting it white with tape on graphics later. Any suggestions?? FIRED UP,seeing as you have already primered your scoop you can base coat clear coat if you'd like,shine and durabilty will be there with alot less effort then gel coat.Urathane single stage enamel will also work with less cost out of pocket,both can except graphics later,hope that is some help,Billy-B

Fired Up
    Sure does Billy.B Thanks alot!

Sangster
    And less weight also.....

Fired UP, it that the #266 boat, if so, Tim at A1 Body Shop in Yuba City did the paint on that boat.He could tell you what colors he used on it if that would help. Phone # is 530-674-2218 ask for Tim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast