Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amp Ground Lenght?

Tom Brown
    No less than 4 gauge stranded? What if his amps gonna draw 200 amps?
    I was thinking the same thing. It's tough to spec cable with no idea of the current it will be required to carry. ... since carrying current is what wire does, it ought to come into play when you specify the size of the conductor.
    I'll also chime in support for the suggestion to use the same size cable for ground as for the main power lead.

riverbound
    I have been building custom boat systems in high end boats for about 5 years...and yes you can run your amp that far no less than 4 guage stranded
    5 whole years Wow..... we could learn a thing or two from you.

riverbound
    I was thinking the same thing. It's tough to spec cable with no idea of the current it will be required to carry. ... since carrying current is what wire does, it ought to come into play when you specify the size of the conductor.
    I'll also chime in support for the suggestion to use the same size cable for ground as for the main power lead.
    at least he was smart enought to say "no less" than 4 guage. but I love when people spec stuff and havent asked the obvious questions like. what kind of amps etc.... Looks like he might need a couple more years of experience.

Tom Brown
    Looks like he might need a couple more years of experience.
    I wonder if our young friend is a big Rockford Fosgate fan. :idea:

riverbound
    I wonder if our young friend is a big Rockford Fosgate fan. :idea:
    That would be a redeeming quality if he was

Beer-30
    Faster, just post what amp you have, and all can get a better idea of current. Also what speakers you will be running. I wouldn't ax you to advise ohms and stuff, just the amp will get all pretty close.

phebus
    My advice is to just go big, that way if you upgrade your amps at a later date, you don't have to run new power and ground cable.
    Power, whether it be engine or stereo (or being a moderator), is something your never happy with, and I guarntee you'll want more in the future.

Beer-30
    That's good advice. I am just going to run 1/0 power and ground to the amp area. It can always be reduced at the amp location, but not enlarged.

phebus
    That's good advice. I am just going to run 1/0 power and ground to the amp area. It can always be reduced at the amp location, but not enlarged.
    Yep, 1/0 to the distribution blocks, and then the sufficient wire size for your particular aplication should do ya, unless your a real big baller, and one 1/0 feed isn't enough. :220v:

Beer-30
    Yep, 1/0 to the distribution blocks, and then the sufficient wire size for your particular aplication should do ya, unless your a real big baller, and one 1/0 feed isn't enough. :220v:
    In which case, you just run another pair of 1/0! Problem solved! :crossx:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast