Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Info on Stevens Boat

1939Chev
    I've always wanted a FB and I found a 1965 Stevens 18' FB w/BB Chev. Can anyone tell me anything about the Stevens Boats, how they compare/compared to the Sangers, Hondos etc. of the day and now? What is this thing worth in good condition? Where could I get more info on Stevens Boats? Thanks.

coolchange
    Do a search on Stevens or Stevens flat to get a lot of different info. They are still considered desireable boats in the old flat arena. Probably not as much as Raysoncraft, Sanger, Hondo, Mandella, etc. But still a very solid boat with a good reputation. Value can run the range 2-8K depending on model, motor, gearbox, etc. I'm sure some Stevens experts will chine in soon but pictures would be best. Welcome to the board.

MEANSTREAK
    Hey coolchange, is there a way to get ahold of you. I would like to talk to you about a certain Cole TR-4

1939Chev
    Do a search on Stevens or Stevens flat to get a lot of different info. They are still considered desireable boats in the old flat arena. Probably not as much as Raysoncraft, Sanger, Hondo, Mandella, etc. But still a very solid boat with a good reputation. Value can run the range 2-8K depending on model, motor, gearbox, etc. I'm sure some Stevens experts will chine in soon but pictures would be best. Welcome to the board.
    Thanks. Back in the mid '80's when I was a marine tech (another life) I went to McCormick Plaza in Chicago for the industry annual boat show. At the time I was into Powerboat mag when Nordskog was the publisher, Bill Muncy was a hero, and I was introduced to the Sangers at the boat show. Our market was fishing boats, family I/O's and a few cruisers, so seeing a Sanger (and others) in person was very special experience. Since then I've always wanted a flattie for what I don't know but they are very cool - but I know little to nothing about them. A goal is to finally get one while I can still move. I'd prefer a Sanger, don't really have a year in mind but price is everything. An easy project would be ok too. I ran across this 18' 1965Stevens a couple weeks ago, is in what I think is excellent shape, can't see any gel coat issues, delamination etc. I'm sure there are some gremlins I didn't notice. Has BBC/power glide/casale, ok trailer. Don't know anything else about it. Am pondering.
    I did a Stevens search but still hungry for info.

Rattle Can Lou
    There's just not alot out there. My Dad was a Stevens dealer from about 1963 or 4 until the early 70's. Mac Stevens was a great guy and built a nice solid flatty. Back in the mid 60's a racer named Don Towle owned the then famous SK class in a Stevens boat. I beleive it was SK 45. Mac built a 16' boat real early and then went to the 17. That is probably the boat that they built the most of. In the late 60's he built an 18' model that was popular. It had the deck that sat on top of the boat like the early Aqua Crafts. So there was no seam where you normally have one on a flatbottom. These boats were all just good ski boats. Yes they were raced back in the day, but most had a very flat bottom and lacked any special racing type bottom under them. He really didn't get into the cruiser deal or the v-bottom stuff. He did build a jet version but that was very unsucessful as he just put a jet pump on the back of a flatbottom. Not a very handy combo. Mac was passed by in the 70's by the very poplular boats of Sanger and Hondo and Cole and on and on. I don't know when he passed away but he hasn't been around for a very long time. I hope this helps.......RCL
    PS I guess he did build a Hydro. I remember seeing one of those on here some time ago. These old boat builders did come up with some surprises over the years.

johnmiller
    RCL,
    this Stevens ad was in the first National NDBA yearbook in 1964.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...4/P1010380.JPG

coolchange
    Hey coolchange, is there a way to get ahold of you. I would like to talk to you about a certain Cole TR-4
    Check your PMs

SnoC653
    Hmmmm so they guarentee that if i put the right engine in it, my 68 will hit 100mph. I wonder how big that engine would have to be or just how shallow that water really is leading up to niagra falls and if the boat would accelerate to that speed on the way down. Otherwise from what I've been told by many respectable v-drive people... my 16' stevens will never get near that speed, it would be a 40 - 50 mph ski boat at best.

TonkaDriver
    there is a nice Sanger listed over on V-driveboat.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast