Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holley 830 Carb, List 9381 question

BrendellaJet
    Carb is stock 78 jets all around. Motor is a mild Olds 455 in a V drive. Cam is mild, a little hotter than stock. Preformer manifold with HEI. Estimated at 10:1 compression.
    Carb appears to be running lean. Plugs are very light tan nearly to the start of the ground strap. Engine idles around 850 rpm but has a nasty stumble off idle but runs good otherwise. Idle mixture screws are all 1 turn out, except for one on the secondary side which was closed(I opened tonight but have not tested). Floats need asjusting also, fuel level is about an 1/8th inch lower than the sight hole on primary & secondaries.
    Any suggestions to get this thing to run better? Im going to adjust the floats and play with the idle mixture some, but Im thinking there may be some other issues. Are the 78 Jets okay?
    THanks for the help!

SmokinLowriderSS
    You're overcarbed, and the color of the porcelean doesn't mean a damn thing as to mixtures, or timing, and only a certain part means anyhting as to proper heat range.
    You have no use for over a 700 CFM carb unless you are close to 6,000 rpm.
    How to read plugs (http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html)

BA Kurtis
    78's should be good, make sure exelarator pumps are working properly and check fuel pressure 6 to 6.5 lb's should be good, boat is looking real good we had a great time with your family today at Irvine

BrendellaJet
    78's should be good, make sure exelarator pumps are working properly and check fuel pressure 6 to 6.5 lb's should be good, boat is looking real good we had a great time with your family today at Irvine
    Thanks Dan. They have been working on it like mad men. Fuel pressure is at 6 lbs.

BrendellaJet
    You're overcarbed, and the color of the porcelean doesn't mean a damn thing as to mixtures, or timing, and only a certain part means anyhting as to proper heat range.
    You have no use for over a 700 CFM carb unless you are close to 6,000 rpm.
    How to read plugs (http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html)
    Thanks for the link. I didn't mention anything about porcelain, but the ground strap. Looks like the plug is too hot.
    Olds oiling issues have been addresses, as such, motor is capable of the 6k rpm barrier(whether or not my sis will take it there is another story!) Overcarbed? Probably, but thats whats on the motor so how about some helpful advice?

GAWnCA
    Carb is stock 78 jets all around. Motor is a mild Olds 455 in a V drive. Cam is mild, a little hotter than stock. Preformer manifold with HEI. Estimated at 10:1 compression.
    Carb appears to be running lean. Plugs are very light tan nearly to the start of the ground strap. Engine idles around 850 rpm but has a nasty stumble off idle but runs good otherwise. Idle mixture screws are all 1 turn out, except for one on the secondary side which was closed(I opened tonight but have not tested). Floats need asjusting also, fuel level is about an 1/8th inch lower than the sight hole on primary & secondaries.
    Any suggestions to get this thing to run better? Im going to adjust the floats and play with the idle mixture some, but Im thinking there may be some other issues. Are the 78 Jets okay?
    THanks for the help!
    I asked the same question only I went to the source, Holley, and their reply was this carb is great for top end but if you want to be able to putt around at times, go with the 750. According to them the 830 is really a high performance carb and used for racing.
    Just passing along the info I got.

v-drive
    Thanks Dan, we had a great time at Irvine to. Lets do Bass lake in May.
    Do you think they would mind if I was to sneek a jet in up there.
    v-drive

v-drive
    Hey Dan, My phone works

LeE ss13
    I asked the same question only I went to the source, Holley, and their reply was this carb is great for top end but if you want to be able to putt around at times, go with the 750. According to them the 830 is really a high performance carb and used for racing.
    Just passing along the info I got.
    What he and they said. So, you should sell me your 830 and buy a new 750! Whatdayathink?

BrendellaJet
    Let me wait and see if we can get it to run. If it doesn't, perhaps my sister will want to trade you for your carb & some cash . Its her boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast