Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery help please....

mbroome
    I'm installing a second battery on my wellcraft ski boat and need some help please! I have the usual single setup and am adding a deep cycle battery. I have the neccesary switch (off, 1,2 both) that will allow charging of both batteries and allow changing batteries while the motor is running. Heres my problem. How the hell do I wire this second battery up? Can someone furnish a diagram for me to follow? Sorry if its a silly question, but I cant figure it out! TIA!

KLEPTOW
    Simple POS to the number 2 position on the switch NEG daisy chain to the other battery or straight to the block.

Zaairman
    ^^^ Exactly what he said. Just don't do what my old owner did and hook up the "common (feed on the diagram)" post on the back of the switch to a ground wire :jawdrop:

mbroome
    ty guys!

rrrr
    ^^^ Exactly what he said. Just don't do what my old owner did and hook up the "common (feed on the diagram)" post on the back of the switch to a ground wire :jawdrop:
    Hillbilly arc welder?

Southwest47
    Speaking of batteries...I am looking to replace my current batteries with new ones. I am considering the Optima brand, but don't know which color top to get. Any help would be appreciated!!
    FYI...I have a dual battery Laveycraft with a pretty elaborate stereo system that cuts in-n-out during extended use (I think because of the old batteries).

DUCKY
    Amps are probably getting hot and trying to shut down....
    Anyways, Optimas are great. just don't over charge them. You will probably want one blue top (marine cranking) and one yellow top (marine deep cycle). You may also consider installing a capacitor on your amp feed if you don't already have one.

Southwest47
    Amps are probably getting hot and trying to shut down....
    Anyways, Optimas are great. just don't over charge them. You will probably want one blue top (marine cranking) and one yellow top (marine deep cycle). You may also consider installing a capacitor on your amp feed if you don't already have one.
    I thought it was was the amps as well...almost replaced them! However, when the engine is running, the stereo (bass) seems to work fine, suggesting that the alternator is taking up the slack from the batteries. BTW...when the engines running and the bass hits, the amp gauge pulses, like the batteries are being stressed. What do you think of my theory?

Zaairman
    Hillbilly arc welder?
    Luckily no. The only electronics on the boat were the gauges, so I was just getting a dead battery all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast