Thread: What about running water with ceramic coated injected headers

wsm9808
    I just bought a very nice set of ceramic coated Bassett water injected through transoml headers for my Daytona and I was wondering if I even need to run water with these.
    Of course I would need to run water through the collectors to avoided burning the rubber exhaust hose and transom. But I was told years ago that the water injected in the tubes was just to keep the chrome from burning off the headers.
    With coated headers, burning off the coating is not an issue. Soo, can we run the tubes dry, or is the water injected tubes a coast guard safty thing for boats?
    Any feed back on this?
    Thanks, Scott

Sleeper CP
    Scott,
    I have run ceramic coated headers and Jet Hot coated. If you don't run water through them they get real hot,really, really hot. Hot enough to feel the heat in the passenger compartment, so if your interior is close to them or body parts I wouldn't suggest running them dry.
    Sleeper CP

BrendellaJet
    the coatings will discolor some if you dont run water.

W.O.T
    the coating will last much longer running with water also.

Saab
    On thru transom I would run water for sure. They get really hot and I'd hate to have all that heat going thru the transom. are they water jacketed or water injected?

wsm9808
    On thru transom I would run water for sure. They get really hot and I'd hate to have all that heat going thru the transom. are they water jacketed or water injected?
    They are water injected.
    I'm 98% sure I'm going to run water through them, I was just thinking outloud because it crossed my mind about running them dry while I was test fitting them on the boat tonight. I have the same coating on my BB Camaro headers and they still look new after 5 years.
    Sleeper, I didnt think about feeling the heat. I've had these same headers on 19ft Liberator picklefork, even with water running through those they would get hot as heck.
    Here is a pic of them setting in the boat. They actually fit between the gunnel and the stringer! I had to trim/notch the rear gunnel to clear the headers in my old Liberator.
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/IMAGE072.jpg
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/IMAGE071.jpg