Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rayson Craft Pontiac engine Trouble

azduster
    I have a 1964 17' Rayson Craft V-Drive with a stock pontiac 455. The motor has about 10 hours on it. The problem I am having is after accelerating and running at mid range the motor bogs down, (like its running out of gas), after I slow downit will accelerate fine and then repeat the same thing. If I accelerate slow and runat a slow speed the boat will run fine. If I accelerate quickly and stay in the throttle it will bog quickly. Also I can accelerate slowly into a higher range for a while before it will bog.
    Things I've done
    New fuel pump
    New Steel fuel lines
    Rebuild Quadrajet Carburetor
    New fuel Regulator
    Change coil
    New ppoints and condenser
    Checked timing
    Replaced gas filter
    Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

obnoxious001
    Are your fuel tanks vented, either the caps or separate vent? If you have checked all the other,, I bet that might be it. The other thing to check is to make sure there is not debris in the tanks that may plug the fuel pickup.

coolchange
    Ya what he ^^^^^ said.
    <<<<<65 Rayson with 389 GTO

azduster
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it first thing in the morning and I'm sure the neighbors will love me.
    I'm not sure if it is vented but I am thinking I can leave the fuel cap open to check it.

SnoC653
    Double check the ruber hoses before the pump. If there is air being sucked in it will do that or if the line is collapsing it will do that.

GofastRacer
    If I accelerate quickly and stay in the throttle it will bog quickly
    Now this sounds like a restriction more than a vent problem(not that it isn't), what size lines do you have??, since you have a quadrajunk did you remove the bronze filter in the inlet??. Also check for air leaks throughout the system!..

Lefty
    Do you have fiberglass tanks? My boat used to do this the glass tanks were coming a part from the inside and would clog the filters. If your tanks are the original glass tanks I would bet that would be it.

GofastRacer
    Yep, that's another possibility had that happen in my Stevens with glass tanks!..

Moneypitt
    Has this combination ran before? If it did, what did you change? If not, and you just got into this deal, what is the fuel system plumbing? Are you feeding from both tanks to a single pump? Gravity feed out the bottom or sucking over the top?.........If you're drawing from two 3/8ths lines into one 3/8ths line you could have a vacuum drop that won't pull fuel up and over. Try a remote tank,(a 5 gal can SAFELY plumbed in) one line to the pump......If the problem continues you can discount the tanks/plumbing. If it is cured, you will know where to look..........MP

DansBlown73Nordic
    a 5 gal can SAFELY plumbed in???? Would that be a can with a hose bungie corded to the back of the seat?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast