Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine Stand Horror Stories?

Wet Dream
    I'm wondering if anyone out there has any engine stand horror stories? Even though my 4 corner stand is rated at 1250#s, that fully dressed blower motor seems like its pushing the limit. There is now way that I'm going to spin this upside down, not that I need to, but I tried to keep the center of gravity as low as possible with grade 8s in the plate.

jbone
    No horror story, but when I was hoisting the engine back in using the carb studs and plate on the alum manifold, I was bighting my nails.
    Anybody have the alum manifold give out??
    J

We usually pull fro the corner of the heads but anytime I install a motor I bite my nails!! I know that right now I have a customers complete motor on a 1000# stand and I try not to touch it. She makes me a little nervous!!!!!!!!!

Dimarco Kid
    Actually bro...they make me nervous too. Got my wrist caught in between the plate and the rear of the engine as it started to spin on me. Broke my wrist. I STORE my blower motor on it's engine plates. I took pressure treated 6x6's cut them into 4 lengths about 8" long. Set them on the garage floor and set each corner of the plates down on them. Keeps the pan about an inch of the floor and gives me piece of mind. Sets on them just like the stringers in the boat. My preference. Just me tho!!!!

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any engine stand horror stories? Even though my 4 corner stand is rated at 1250#s, that fully dressed blower motor seems like its pushing the limit. There is now way that I'm going to spin this upside down, not that I need to, but I tried to keep the center of gravity as low as possible with grade 8s in the plate.
    On an engine stand. That would freak me out to . I have seen it done on an engine dolly.

Dimarco Kid
    I'd like to put beer jets avatar on a stand!

maxwedge
    Yep, the store bought ones scare me too. So I pulled out the MIG and reinforced the hell out of mine with steel tubing and I also made the base wider so it's more stable. Never seen one break but they always seem a little shaky and I did watch a kid knock one over in High school shop class. He rolled a wheel into a floor drain grate. It took a big chunk out of the concrete and a Chevy 350.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm not really fond of leaving my 454 on my 1250lb stand either, and it's not blown. This past fall I used some 4x4, built a rectangular frame, put HD 4" casters on it (only 2 swivel, at the back), and it sits on it's mounts & the bellhousing quite happily. Last summer I had cause to flip a fully assembled 6.9L Ford Diesel upside down looking for low oil press problem and used the cherry picker both ways, to controll it's rotation on the stand.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I built my engine stand. It is made out of 1/4 inch wall tube. The center shaft is about 2 1/2 solid steel. The stand is very heavy. I got a first place in a High school trade show.
    I have run my blown BBC on it. I was more worried about the garage flipping over....

SmokinLowriderSS
    Now THAT sounds like a nice stand. :idea: Seriously!.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast