Thread: Wax or Polish

tittyman
    I did a search and could not find the answer I was looking for..Thought I would ask the pro detailers and fiberglass guys.
    1. What is the difference between wax and polish and in what order to you use those products...
    2. When do you use a glaze..what does it do..
    3. I have these products plus a box of other stuff..Mcguires cleaner wax paste, Mcguires polish 49, Mcguires pure wax 56, Mcguires machine glaze 3, Turtle wax 2001, and a box full of other crap!
    I have a Harbor Freight buffer that works great. The boat is 20% gel and 80% candy paint with clear. The clear is now starting to come off but not a problem at this time..still looks good..It's old but in great shape.
    So when to you use polish, when do you use a wax plus the glaze etc..what crap do you never use..

DUCKY
    Basically, the term wax generally means that the product contains carnuba, while polishes generally don't. Both are intended to protect the finish from atmospheric conditions, and UV damage. On a boat such as yours, with it's age and a high percentage of paint, I wouldn't worry about it, but on a new boat, with a majority of white gelcoat, you want to avoid the use of carnuba because it will yellow the gel badly.
    "glaze", generally speaking is a final shine type of product, that is usually water soluble, and provides that last little bit of killer shine on a surface that is already highly polished. It usually will disappear after it get's wet. Many glazes also contain a very very fine abrasive to aid in the removal of swirl marks.
    Hope this answers your questions....

tittyman
    thanks for the reply..to make the shine last as long as possible..do you wax first then apply a polish..or does it really matter if it's polish or wax? Also with a boat that is mostly candy paint and some gel should you use carnuba wax or stay away from it..thanks again..

wax on ... wax off ...
    (sorry couldn't resist the oppertunity to quote Mr. Miyagi )

1978 Rogers
    You polish first, then put on the wax.

ck7684
    I polish, then glaze, then wax, in that order...