Thread: Drag capsule in a circle boat?

wildfire555
    hey a few days ago i saw a thread with a picture of a k boat with a drag capsule. my question is: do these work and why don't we se more of them? maybe jetboatguru or some of you others with both circle and drag knowlege can shed some light on this.

WannabeRacing
    http://www.wannaberacing.net/boderun.jpg
    The K with the drag capsule was back when that was the only capsule you could get your hands on. This baby was created in 1993. It may have worked, but they really struggled with it. They moved it three times in that boat. They sat it dead center, so it took out the toeboard. It also had to sit way up there so they could still get to the v-drive to change gears. They had an awful time trying to get that nose up and out of the water. The kept cutting the back of the strut to get the prop up underneath more, but with no luck. They also had the engine back enough that they needed to cut half of the top portion of the strut to get the oil pan to fit.
    It may work if you set it off center where the current capsules that are working well sit.
    Drag capsules also have decent visability in front of you, if you sit back where the are designed to sit. Bob sat way forward to try and grab some visibility out of the sides. If you look in the picture, he had rear view mirrors to try and spot people.
    I am not certain what the current drag capsules tilt the scales at, but the guys that own this boat tell me that they took out something like 120-160lbs of capsule and capsule equipment out of the boat. And that is just TOO MUCH!

gnRacer98
    I believe the Drag capsules tip the scales between 300 -400 lbs.
    A Jones capsule will add about 50-60 lbs. and has proven itself to be sufficient for the task.

FlatStupid
    I believe the Drag capsules tip the scales between 300 -400 lbs.
    A Jones capsule will add about 50-60 lbs. and has proven itself to be sufficient for the task.Maybe with a driver included.

fc-pilot
    I have a drag capsule sitting at my shop and it does not weigh 200 pounds. It is not the most up to date thing around and I am sure if it were put back in a circle boat some weight could be taken out. Anyway, that is just my opinion.
    Paul