Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternator ?

Taylorman
    I just made new motor mounts for my engine and im having trouble mounting my alternator. The only way i could get it mounted up, it has VERY little adjustment. A 40" belt was to short and a 41" belt is to long. Anyone have any suggestions. Im thinking about hunting for a very small alternator at auto zone. The problem is the exciter on the back of the alternator hits my block if i raise it to much. I remember when i had a Toyota truck the alternator was real small. Has anyone ever did such a thing?
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/DCP_6809.jpg
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/DCP_6808.jpg

Mighty Thor
    I once hung a Chrysler alternator on my Datsun to run stuff cause it had more amps and was shorter therefore sat out away from the block farther. On the GM alternators I have very often indexed the rear housing to clear all sorts of things sticking out of the block. Have you tried that yet? If you don't know what I mean, you can unscrew the four long screws and rotate the main case of the alternator so that the bumps, wires, plugs etc point in different directions to clear brackets, exhaust manifolds etc.

lucky
    run it off the crank , or pully between the jet and engine - i seen a thread on h/b mounted that way - and i thought that was a cool way to do it

Kevin, the way you have it set up you will never have more than a miniscule amount of adjustment. This is due to having the pivot point lined up with the crank centerline and the alternator centerline. If you could move the pivot so it is beneath the alternator on the motorplate then even a fairly small bit of movement will give the adjustment range you need. Take a look at where the pivot is on this Glenwood. This is what I had on my OLDS and I had no issues with adjustment. Try to lay yours out similarly. The adjuster bracket mounted to the top bolt for the engine mount on block.
    http://www.glenl.com/inboard-hdw/images-hdw/0898.jpg

Taylorman
    The problem is i dont want to cut to much material off the plate. To put the pivot lower i'd have to cut off alot from the plate and i dont want to do that and make it weak.

Just rotate the alternator about 90 degrees, putting the hole for the pivot below the alternator. Then, even a small amount of movement will give a greater adjustment range.

EXTREMEBOATS
    Jegs sells a mini alt made by EAST COAST ELECTRIC for around $230 that is a one wire hook up. And is I think around 55 amps. Its nothing more then a Suzuki Samari alt. I have one on my hemi due to space and like the way it simplified my problem. Yea its not cheap but find a junk one and any rebuilder can fix it up for ya. Or maybe go with the direct drive Motarolla . Pricey but no more belt blues. I have the whole set up I took off that I would let go. It needs to be gone thru and shined back up. Say.... $100 plus shiping?
    Mike

lucky
    Jegs sells a mini alt made by EAST COAST ELECTRIC for around $230 that is a one wire hook up. And is I think around 55 amps. Its nothing more then a Suzuki Samari alt. I have one on my hemi due to space and like the way it simplified my problem. Yea its not cheap but find a junk one and any rebuilder can fix it up for ya. Or maybe go with the direct drive Motarolla . Pricey but no more belt blues. I have the whole set up I took off that I would let go. It needs to be gone thru and shined back up. Say.... $100 plus shiping?
    Mike
    mike did you recieve the tach drive back and the check i sent ya for shipping ??? never heard back from You ?? just checking chris

Taylorman
    Just rotate the alternator about 90 degrees, putting the hole for the pivot below the alternator. Then, even a small amount of movement will give a greater adjustment range.
    The picture doesn't show whats doing on on the back of the alternator. If i rotate it, the alternator will hit the head. The only way to fix that is to move the alternator outward away from the engine which i would like to keep it tucked in as close to the engine as possible.

Hipshot
    Hey Taylorman, just go to the salvage yard and get a couple different size pulleys(one bigger, one smaller) than what you have and then try the belts you have again. Chances are you will find a combo that works and it is much cheaper than buying another alternator.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast