Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: prop suggestions

noboattom
    I have a howard 21 foot river cruiser. The motor is a chevy bb 800 hp.Has a th400. The gear box is a casele c500 with a 1.04 staped on it. The prop that i got now is a11.25x14 way to small. Also prop shaft is inch and an eighth. Used to have jet boat so any info would help.

steveo143
    You need a lot more gear in your v-drive, 22% or 29%. I' d go with 29% if you have a true 800hp.

noboattom
    Steveo143. My buddy said the same.But im not sure if thats the wright numbers on the drive box. Is there a way to check it. The motor was done by paul phaff. He said thats what it dynoed at.

ol guy
    Hey Tom Iwould worry about getting the right bight before thinking about a gear change. Easy check on the over/under drive of the v-drive,count spins of top shaft vs bottom shaft and do the math. Just a thought, 1 turn on the top saft vs 1.5 turns on bottm shaft is 50% overdrive. Easy example=6000 rpm of motor x 1.5 prop shaft=9000 rpm prop speed. And buy the way sure I got the elimator first Mark

ol guy
    Hey tom, Get with a good local shop and see if they will work with you on youre prop needs, at least a 12,5 x 14. with the power I saw, and heard you could easily turn that. And sorry about the last sentence on the last note,cell phone from work was ringing and tried to finish to quick! ol guy

noboattom
    Nice user name OLD GUY! when i get a prop that will make the boat go we will have to do another poor mans boat regatta at smellssomemore.Talk to later.

ol guy
    Tom, That would be Lake Guacamole. Thick and Green.

noboattom
    Hey old guy went out to the boat,did the math came up with 25%. Good thinking.This is what happens when your not trucking and sitting at home.To much time on my hands and not enough thought DA!

ol guy
    Hey,glad to here about your drive ratio.That will work for now!!!!!!!!!!!!Now just get some bite out of the prop and I"ll wave as you fly bye.M

Schiada Time
    I have a 22 Schiada
    502 HP
    1.10 ratio Casale
    11.5x15 Menkens 3-blade
    What ratio do I need and what can I do to my current prop to increase perf. and efficiency.
    The boat plains out slow and revvs to 6000 but feels like we are spinning rpm and not really moving. I need the prop to bit harder and perform across the rpm band.
    I dont really have the $$$ right now to swap to a split case or crack the c-500 open and change gears. The prop had cup on the trailing edges but was removed to create RPM but the boat now needs better lift and acceleraton.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast