Thread: oil problem

john
    i was out on the river yesterday my oil pressure at idle was 60 and 80 open. when i was bringing it in i noticed it was at 30. i checked the oil (moible 1) 15-50 syn its clean but 2qts low (14 qt pan) plus a oil cooler . oil pump is 2yrs old

centerhill condor
    did you get her hot? cause the condor came in hot two months ago and the oil pressure got kinda scary. Changed oil/filter and replaced the tstat and back to 60 psig.
    CC

DUCKY
    Cut open the filter and look for metal down in the folds of each pleat. A filter cutter is nice but a cutoff wheel works fine too. It sounds like she just got a little hot, but if you never had an oil temp/pressure drop problem you need to check things out well before starting her again. A few very fine metal bits in the filter pleats are normal, but more than that, or any goldish color particles means tear it apart. Gold color bits are usually copper from the 2nd layer of the bearings. Good Luck!

i was out on the river yesterday my oil pressure at idle was 60 and 80 open. when i was bringing it in i noticed it was at 30. i checked the oil (moible 1) 15-50 syn its clean but 2qts low (14 qt pan) plus a oil cooler . oil pump is 2yrs old
    I personally would worry too much about that scenario as long as the oil pressure came right back up when the motor cooled off at idle. It's a sign of the oil thinning out when hot. 15-50 is going to get thin when hot. Might be time for an oil temp gauge so you know where you're at before assuming anything is wrong. But all that being said 30 at low idle isn't abnormal with hot oil as long as it jumps right back up when you tap the throttle.

BIGCHRIS
    [QUOTE=Rexone;2712119]I personally would worry too much about that scenario as long as the oil pressure came right back up when the motor cooled off at idle. It's a sign of the oil thinning out when hot. 15-50 is going to get thin when hot. Might be time for an oil temp gauge so you know where you're at before assuming anything is wrong. But all that being said 30 at low idle isn't abnormal with hot oil as long as it jumps right back up when you tap the throttle.[/QUOE]
    What should be your normal oil temp in cruising around and what should you have in abussing times

[QUOTE=Rexone;2712119]I personally would worry too much about that scenario as long as the oil pressure came right back up when the motor cooled off at idle. It's a sign of the oil thinning out when hot. 15-50 is going to get thin when hot. Might be time for an oil temp gauge so you know where you're at before assuming anything is wrong. But all that being said 30 at low idle isn't abnormal with hot oil as long as it jumps right back up when you tap the throttle.[/QUOE]
    What should be your normal oil temp in cruising around and what should you have in abussing times
    That's a tough question because of the wide range of applications, engines, and driving styles, oils, etc. But as a general statment I'd say 200-230 would be normal range for most boats when warmed up and 250-260 running hard. While I'd prefer a little less while running hard (achieved with cooler etc) most quality oils today will handle those temps without much if any degradation. I've seen higher than that but it makes be nervous above 260.
    I like to see water temp not over 200 max because in a non pressurized, non coolent controlled system you're going to have steam pockets develop if the water is allowed to boil. I like 180-200 range. Helps get the oil up to temp too. Cold oil doesn't lubricate as well and cold water temps keep the oil temp down somewhat. There are many who say that cold water temp will produce more power. I think it's negligible for a recreational applications and long term there's more negatives than positives associated with running cold temps for recreational and endurance running boats in terms of drivability, fuel atomization, and good lubrication.

LeE ss13
    I like what centerhill and DUCKY said. Do the easiest and cheapest thing first. If it is still low after running it, engine pulling time. If you are running a High Volume oil pump, there has to be something seriously wrong to only make 30 lbs. Hopefully it will be something as simple as a pickup coming loose. Good Luck.

Gearhead
    Another thing to look at while you have the filter open. Is the internal filter intact or has it collapsed? Over the years I have seen several filters collapse the internal filter when running high pressures and oil pressure will drop. It will make you think you just lost the engine.
    This happened to one of our boat buds just last week. He replaced the filter and the pressure immediately came back up.
    Not always the case, but sometimes happens.
    Gear