Thread: Oil leak

biggraypig
    Just finished the 455 put the boat in the water and it ran great. Oil pressure, temp, amps, everything was spot on.
    Problem was when I pulled the plug oil came out. I checked the dipstick, and it was down. It is aftermarket so no telling where it should be, but at least I can check it. I have put an after market high volume pan on it, but don't know exactly how much to run in it.
    Looks like the oil is leaking out of the rear main seal. I used the rope seal that came with the gasket kit.
    Question is:
    If I overfilled the pan would it leak out here when running?
    How many quarts should I run?
    Is there a better rear main seal that you could use?
    It seems like I read somwhere that a ford seal would work better, but I can't remember what one.
    Thanks for any input.

VAMI
    What kind of pan? boat or car ? A neopreme rear main would have been a much better choice.Mondello performance sells them.If you got 10 qts in a 7 qt pan its gonna leak.

For the rear main seal, use a two-piece neoprene seal. Not sure if they are currently listing it for the Olds application, but the 460 Ford rear seal fits/works perfectly.
    There is no way to know how much oil to run in your pan without pics/dimensions of pan. They are available in a number of different capacities.
    How much oil did you put in?

biggraypig
    It is a pan for a boat. I don't know how big it is, but here is a pic.
    I did put 10 qts. in it. It is a big pan.

W.O.T
    looks like a bigger pan but not a ten quart pan. i know my motor leaks alot into the bilge even though its fresh. are you leaking any? any signs of burning oil?

biggraypig
    No signs of burning oil just a leak. I think I just overfilled it.
    I am going out to run it again today or tommorow and keep a close eye on the oil level. Hoping that when it leaks out to where it is supposed to be at it will quit.
    I am not real worried about the leak as long as there is oil and I have good pressure. Greenpeace came out to clean up my freinds boat ramp last week.
    I will pull the engine this winter and put in a ford 460 seal.

DelawareDave
    I have a Dooley pan on mine. When I was setting up the pump, etc, I measured the pick-up depth, and the bottom of the crank, etc vs. pan depth. I calculated how many inches of oil would be ideal and put a mark inside the pan. I measured out some fuel oil in 1 quart cans, and started pouring them in til I hit the line. When the motor was installed, I put that amount of oil in, and marked the dipstick. I filled the filter til it wouldn't take anymore before I installed it.
    Final result= .9 qt for the filter, 6.1 for the pan. No leaks. BTW- I did use the Ford rear main seal.

biggraypig
    Thanks for the info.
    I did put an eyeball on where the dipsick lined up with the bottom of the crank an it was at the add line on the dipstick. So should the oil be below the crank? If so I have overfilled the pan and need to drain some out. I will also put in the other seal. (I am kicking myself in the arse now that I didn't do it when I was putting the engine together.)
    Thanks to everybody for the input it is appreciated.