Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Hook' question.. should this area be filled in??

AaronL
    Here are a few pictures of the bottom of my 18' Miller (with berkeley 12JB) that I'm working on. I've spent quite a bit of time searching and reading threads about 'hook' issues on the bottom side of boats, but i'm only seeing emphasis on the area around the skegs (more outboard). My question is about right in front of the inlet, on the lowest part of the boat. There is a little over 3/8" difference in height when I put a straight edge from the inlet housing to about 2 feet forward (as shown in the pictures). Should this area be completely filled in and leveled?
    http://www.intakeelbows.com/Ryan/Underside01.jpg
    http://www.intakeelbows.com/Ryan/Underside02.jpg
    Thanks,
    Aaron

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    THat looks like some sort of bubble:idea: I have always seen a bubble infront of the intake.....

OverKill
    NO NO NO leave it alone. That bump you see before the intake is to direct more water into the intake. What happens at very high speeds the pump will not pull the water in fast enough and the water will just run by the pump and not get sucked in. IMO leave it alone it is fine. Best person IMO to ask is Squirtcha?. He had hook on the bottom of his boat and spent alot of time straightining it. His performance dropped so he put a little hook back in it to get back on the plus side. Dan maybe you can help this guy out a little more than I can with all the detales and such.
    OverKill
    P.S. Call Phil Bergeron for more info. (480) 834-1531

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Better yet, Call Jeff Bennett!!! He specializes in JETBOAT bottoms.......

AaronL
    Thanks for the quick replies. My understanding (or misunderstanding) is that the 'bubble' would cause a low pressure area right after it, like the top side of an airplane wing, which causes lift due to the low pressure.... To me, it seems like this area should be flat, and not bump out
    I am going to get it painted pretty soon by a friend that has a body shop. I want to make sure it is right before the paint goes on.

AaronL
    THat looks like some sort of bubble:idea: I have always seen a bubble infront of the intake.....
    I'm not seeing a bubble either of these ones

RCB19
    That does not look right at all. It looks like somebody really screwed up setting the intake too low and filled in the mistake with putty then shaped it.

AaronL
    Now I was just told about 'spoon' . This bump makes more sense now..... (thanks Squirtin Thunder)
    I just did some high-tech (redneck) testing in the kitchen sink with some soft 3003 aluminum strip and full water pressure on each test.... Pictures taken and rotated 90 degrees.
    -spoon001 is like my 'bump'. Notice how smooth the water flows over it, and off the trailing edge. I was surprised to feel the water pull the aluminum towards it (because of the low pressure that I previously thought might be a bad thing)... very noticeable force.
    -spoon002 is no bump. notice how the water doesn't flow as streamline at the end
    -spoon004 is way too much bump. Some of the water is actually pushed away from what would be the jet intake.
    I probably should be leave it the hell alone, huh?

TeamHawaiin
    :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:
    Now I was just told about 'spoon' . This bump makes more sense now..... (thanks Squirtin Thunder)
    I just did some high-tech (redneck) testing in the kitchen sink with some soft 3003 aluminum strip and full water pressure on each test.... Pictures taken and rotated 90 degrees.
    -spoon001 is like my 'bump'. Notice how smooth the water flows over it, and off the trailing edge. I was surprised to feel the water pull the aluminum towards it (because of the low pressure that I previously thought might be a bad thing)... very noticeable force.
    -spoon002 is no bump. notice how the water doesn't flow as streamline at the end
    -spoon004 is way too much bump. Some of the water is actually pushed away from what would be the jet intake.
    I probably should be leave it the hell alone, huh?
    This is the coolest example of water flow I've seen yet!!:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast