Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oil problem

john
    was out on the river yesterday my oil pressure at idle was 60 and 80 open. when i was bringing it in i noticed it was at 30. i checked the oil (moible 1) 15-50 syn its clean but 2qts low (14 qt pan) plus a oil cooler . oil pump is 2yrs old (high volume low pressure)

Warp Speed
    was out on the river yesterday my oil pressure at idle was 60 and 80 open. when i was bringing it in i noticed it was at 30. i checked the oil (moible 1) 15-50 syn its clean but 2qts low (14 qt pan) plus a oil cooler . oil pump is 2yrs old (high volume low pressure)
    Was this 30psi at idle?
    Do you have an oil temp gauge?
    What engine is it?

john
    no temp 454ci
    but i think i over heated the oil thanks for the input

Dogballs
    From my experience when the oil gets hot the presure goes down. You can always check your sending unit their cheap!

Fire it up again in the garage and check it when cold, chances are good its back to normal.. Its probably because the oil was warm like Balls said. Ive seen that before too.

Legal Chemistry
    If your using 15-50, the hot viscosity is 1/3 of the cold (15-50.) I would imagine that this kind of drop would be on par.

ol guy
    With multi viscosity oils this common. 50 weight at cold fire-up, 15 weight at hot running temp. Also 60# to 80# oil pressure seems high for a high volume-low pressure pump! And another suggestion, lose the mobil 1 and go to a straight weight racing oil ie; Valvoline Racing 40. Pour 1 quart of atf in the motor [to clean it out] ,Fire it and get it hot then drain and change. FYI the reason for racing oil is that the epa and other earth related agenccies have required all oil manufacturers to remove additives from daily driver oils that aid in break-in and lube qualities that extreme pressure vehicles and BOATS need. This is also wy some many new cams installed are going flat in 30 mins or less.

Warp Speed
    With multi viscosity oils this common. 50 weight at cold fire-up, 15 weight at hot running temp. Also 60# to 80# oil pressure seems high for a high volume-low pressure pump! And another suggestion, lose the mobil 1 and go to a straight weight racing oil ie; Valvoline Racing 40. Pour 1 quart of atf in the motor [to clean it out] ,Fire it and get it hot then drain and change. FYI the reason for racing oil is that the epa and other earth related agenccies have required all oil manufacturers to remove additives from daily driver oils that aid in break-in and lube qualities that extreme pressure vehicles and BOATS need. This is also wy some many new cams installed are going flat in 30 mins or less.

Sleeper CP

Yeah, what he said? WTF?
    50wt/Cold 15 Hot? I learn something new every day:idea:
    Sleeper CP

gr16241
    Diesel grade oils still have the additives that are necessary in our boat motors and are recomended at engine break in. I use Chevron Delo 15w 40 in my Ford Diesel Pickup as well as my Eliminator Boat. Some guys will break in their motor with Delo then switch to full synthetic. Personal choice I suppose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast