Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Boat - Opinions Wanted

El Prosecutor
    This is a '74 18.5' Cheetah I am looking at as a project. I want something I can throw around more and go up to 75 mph in. Is this a good start or no?
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/Cheetah1.jpg
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...is/Cheetah.jpg

El Prosecutor
    35 looks and no replies - is this a case of "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything??"
    Criticisms are welcome, 'specially since I haven't put out the $$$ for it yet.
    Waddaya think??

Cas
    how much?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Looks like a decent baseline. How much? If its cheap, then jump on it.....

Cas
    Looks like a decent baseline. How much? If its cheap, then jump on it.....
    my thoughts exactly. I'd just make sure the bottom is in good shape so you don't have to anything with that.

El Prosecutor
    Price is $1k "OBO".
    The trailer is in bad shape. Seller states that the pump was just "gone through" and has a "race impeller" but doesn't know what size it is. He says it has a single fuel tank that mounts in front of the motor, but no pics yet that show that setup. I am thinking I would have to purchase saddle tanks.
    I think he would sell it cheap, but the boat is a 2 hr. drive away from me.
    Any general reputation of this vintage/style Cheetah hull for performance limits, etc?

pw_Tony
    I'm not sure how pricey these boats are. But isn't $1K a little expensive for how much work you're gonna need to put in?

El Prosecutor
    I'm not sure how pricey these boats are. But isn't $1K a little expensive for how much work you're gonna need to put in?
    Yes. Especially with the crummy trailer. I was thinking $600-$700 for the boat. The pros are that the pump (allegedly) is in good shape, it has full stringers under the floor, and I like the deck design.
    Cons so far are: unknown characeristics of this hull design, unknown condition of the bottom. I'm not crazy about the flame job on the deck either.
    My daydream was to remove the false floor, carpet the bottom, build a bench seat, cover the front buckets to match. Snoot, diverter, drop in CP Dad's 460 with T-ram and OT headers, see what she would do.

Honestly.............He's asking way too much money. Even if the pump has a diamond encrusted platimum impeller and the tolerances are perfect.
    Basically no trailer, no motor, no interior. Lots of work..........lots of money (unless you're one of those patient types that can wait for the part deals to pop up).
    I'd say $500 and no more. If he doesn't like it........keep looking.
    Is that trailer homemade or has it been patched up? Judging by the boxed in area it looks like it used to be a V-drive trailer.
    You said be honest.
    It's just an opinion.

lilrick
    jet boats are a dime a dozen.....Be picky and a nice deal awaits you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast