Thread: So. Fork American River (WW Rafting) ??

sdpm
    We are heading up there next week to Coloma for camping and doing an all day white water rafting trip. Has anyone here ever done that and on this part of the river? We are all looking forward to it. Sounds and looks like alot of fun.

Mattman
    It's a blast especially if you end up with a cool guide. We had 18 people in our group. Flew up there on Southwest the night before. Got up early and were bused to where we were going to start for the day. Had a safety lecture then suited up. Hit the water which was focking freezing then headed down river. Had some great rapids and smooth sections. Stopped halfway where the guides fed us lunch. At the end they hooked all of our boats together and somebody in a small boat with an outboard motor pulled us to where we got out of the water. The cool thing is we all sacked out while being pulled to where we got off the water. Jumped a plane then headed home that night. What a day!! Have fun!

sdpm
    Perfect. Thanks. None of us in our group have ever done this. Can't wait.

shueman
    Did a 2 day many years ago. Absolutely the BEST BANG for the buck that there is.... Enjoy...

Dribble
    A few of years ago the wife came out of the raft in a section called Satan's Cesspool. She came up under the raft and couldn't get out from underneath. She was trapped under water for a almost a minute. I had no idea where she was. Just gone. The guide somehow found her foot and pulled her out from underneath the raft. She then rode the rapids for a few hundred more feet and crawled up onto a rock. We had to do seven more sets of rapids before the day was over. The water temp was 59 degrees.
    Since then we've decided to stick with safer activities like our motorcycles, horses and fast boats.

Mattman
    A few of years ago the wife came out of the raft in a section called Satan's Cesspool. She came up under the raft and couldn't get out from underneath. She was trapped under water for a almost a minute. I had no idea where she was. Just gone. The guide somehow found her foot and pulled her out from underneath the raft. She then rode the rapids for a few hundred more feet and crawled up onto a rock. We had to do seven more sets of rapids before the day was over. The water temp was 59 degrees.
    Since then we've decided to stick with safer activities like our motorcycles, horses and fast boats.
    Yea, we had several guys launch going through Satan's Cesspool. I wish I could remember some of the other names that were given to the rapids. It's funny now but not when holding on for dear life!

Badburn
    One of the other big rapids- I think is called troublemaker. I think the best run starts from a place called Chili Bar, then runs down through Coloma. Its been a while since I went up there. Great place!