Thread: Bent Skeg

ASR-3CE
    Can a bent skeg be straightened back? The skeg is bent very close to the lower unit; its probably about 10 degrees off. The skeg is still very flat. It looks like the previous owner may have let this boat on the its trailer flip up and the back end landed on the lower unit.

sorry dog
    I asked this question to the guy that did minor skeg repair and a low water job on mine. He said that he would reshape or reweld as long as it wasn't close to the top (lower 2/3's or 1/2 I can't remember which).
    So I would infer from that comment that unless your running a low speed application it would probably be safer to get another housing.

Tom Brown
    What kind of speeds are you running. It sounds like it isn't too mangled. The best thing might be to just leave it alone.

Tom Brown
    By the way, don't just beat on it or try to bend it back. It will probably break. $$$$$$$

ASR-3CE
    TB, I am running fairly low speeds; 55 mph. It's a 140 Johnson on a 17' ski boat.

Forkin' Crazy
    You can straighen it. I have done mine. You must be very careful and use a backup hammer. I used a mini sledge for back up and a 24 oz to do the wacking. You don't want to wack it too hard. Mine was bent enough it made the boat run stupid. It had a hook and a bow in it. It too a while but I got it straight. Either I was going to straighten it or break it and replace it. I had to do something. Does it pull or something?

MANIC MECHANIC
    I have taken my lower unit off and straightened the skeg against a block of wood with a deadblow hammer a couple of times after hitting submerged rocks etc. It actually is pretty easy to bend so I would have no concernes about straightening what you describe. Tim