Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do's and Don'ts on motor break-in????

Gary C
    Haven't picked up my new 22DCB/300x and was wondering what is the best way to breakin the 300x?
    Thanks

HavasuDreamin'
    This is a question for mmtech. Hopefully he will post. I have owned several Merc's although none have been the 300x. I was always told to vary the rpm's up to about 3500 - 4000 for the first 3 hours. Then vary the rpms up to 4500 - 5000 for another 2 hours. Then vary the rpm up to 6000 for 2 more hours. Then take it all the way up but don't hold it there until you have 10 hours on the motor. Some may say this is overkill, but I am coming up on my 6th season on my 2.4 bridgeport with no problems. I consistantly run 7400-7500 rpm. Good Luck. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

mercjerc
    By the book...I have one and have 11 months on it. No problems. I have had two other HP Mercs.. 225PM, 280, no probs. Things will be much easier if there are any warranty claims. HD is right on the money.

snappertapper
    well there is two ways to break in a motor , by the book and wide open i always break mine in wide open but u might wanna do it by th ebook

Jrocket
    I'd go with HD's way on this.One really important thing especially now with the cold water temps is too let it warm up really good before putting some throttle to it.I've heard the 300's take a little longer before they actually let loose and run full at there full potential.My 2.5's broke in fairly easy.Just remember to let um warm up good.......JR

snappertapper
    yea i agree with jr anout letting it warm up even though im in florida nad dont have this problem but i think hd might be right about breaking it it even though i do mine wide open

HavasuBarney
    300X is a different animal.
    Break-in is done at 4000 - 5500 rpms for the first 4 hours, need to run it hard.
    Do not let it idle for more than about a minute during the first 2 hours.
    After the first 4 hours, run it as close to the limiter as you can for the next 2, 7100 rpms.
    May want to run a small wheel, with my 26p I was running no less than 70 to break it in.
    NO double oil for break in either.
    Topac to Parker Dam back and forth.
    [This message has been edited by HavasuBarney (edited March 17, 2002).]

snappertapper
    i like his method of breakin this is a very good way to do it though

Gary C
    Ok, stupid me, what is Double Oil???? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Thanks for all the other info.

HavasuBarney
    The 300X along with many new outboards come set up with oil injection.
    Previous year models suggested adding 50:1 oil to your gas as well as running the oil injection for about the first 50 gallons of fuel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast