Thread: 68 stevens, first v-drive need a little help

devanwon
    just bought a 1968 stevens semi vee, v-drive... a little about the boat built 460 with rebuilt 3 dog casele, new drive shaft and prop. anyways the trouble i'm having is the boat pulls hard to the right when i let go of the wheel, the drive log i'm told is self aligning, and it has new stuffing. not sure where to go with this, my rudder if your looking at the back of the boat seems to vere to the left about 1/8" not sure if this is the problem or not they are very $$$$. any other help on this would be great. If you guys think its the rudder anyone know where a used on is???? you can post or call me too 503.740.3091 I'm located in Portland Oregon

Moneypitt
    Could be so many different things. Is this boat driven off the flywheel or the crank? (L or RH prop?) How is the steering rigged? Any play?.....Is it a trailing rudder? Does the boat have Cav plates?......Are they adjusted properly?......Any hooks in the bottom??.......What speed are you refering to?......Full or part throttle?.......All the time, or just when you get on it/let off?.......MP

devanwon
    its driven off the flywheel, not too sure about the prop all i know its brand new and a 12x12 3-blade, steering is a cable setup and the boat does have cav plates and are adjusted level with the bottom of the boat when the adjustment handle is in the middle position, it does have one hook (skag) twards the front of the boat, and the speed it does this at is 25+ mph on the throttle and off i can criuse with steady throttle and let go of the wheels and it pull hard right. thanks for the reply hope this will help in fixing it.

v-drive
    My old lavey craft did the same thing. When my daughter bought it we started restoring it and I found that the rudder was bent. We have just had it out a few times but no more pull to the right. If that is your problem they are pretty pricy...v-drive

boatguy222
    just bought a 1968 stevens semi vee, v-drive... a little about the boat built 460 with rebuilt 3 dog casele, new drive shaft and prop. anyways the trouble i'm having is the boat pulls hard to the right when i let go of the wheel, the drive log i'm told is self aligning, and it has new stuffing. not sure where to go with this, my rudder if your looking at the back of the boat seems to vere to the left about 1/8" not sure if this is the problem or not they are very $$$$. any other help on this would be great. If you guys think its the rudder anyone know where a used on is???? you can post or call me too 503.740.3091 I'm located in Portland Oregon
    Was that the boat on CL in Albany last week? If so, I set the v-drive in it. If I rememberr correctly the rudder box needed to be replaced, and I would guess the rudder too. if you want shoot me an email at harmons1@msn.com and I will see if I can help you out.
    Marc

devanwon
    emailed you.... anyone else have any other advise its really appreciated!!

devanwon
    found out i have the wrong prop, needing a 11.5"X15" 2 blade if someone has one for sale.

devanwon
    sorry its RH too.

Moneypitt
    sorry its RH too.
    Off the snout?..............MP

devanwon
    george,
    thanks for sending the props, will get the one i need and send you the rest back, really appreciate the help!! :mix: