Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cranks/rods, Scat, Eagle

squirt
    I tried a search but I guess I'm a tard cause it came up empty and I know I've seen the info before
    Putting together 496bbc and have got 2 quotes, one is Eagle stuff and the other Scat. Any thoughts or pros and cons on the stuff. Price is fairly close with Scat being alittle cheaper
    Target for the motor is700hp na, plus 200 nos

soupersonic
    I know three engine builders and they all use SCAT for thats worth.

GofastRacer
    A note about Eagle cranks if you go that route, the machine work is out to lunch on them, best to pick one up semi finished and then get it finished by a "quality" shop!...

VAMI
    Most Eagle cranks I have used have a bunch of runout (not stright) Scat stuff always seems stright and all on size.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    A note about Eagle cranks if you go that route, the machine work is out to lunch on them, best to pick one up semi finished and then get it finished by a "quality" shop!...
    Ill second that.....

Nucking futs
    I don't care what crankshaft you buy, Always send it out to get the once over. I just had my brand new crower checked by Lopez crankshaft and it needed some details done to it. I mean it was only 45 bucks to get it done, but it could have caused some problems down the line.
    Just my opinion..

bajarunner
    Honestly I have used both, and neither one are a very great choice, they both have there ups and downs. As said the Eagle has a poor surface and runout, and the scat has poor counterweight indexing that makes for some not so great balancing. If you must choose between the two go with the Eagle, just plan on sending it out to be finished up so to speak. In the long run the Eagle will work better IMO. I assume the dollar is a concern or you would not be looking at either of the two company's you mentioned. I'm not sure what your budget is but the rotating assembly is not one area the cut $, I would suggest you look at a Lunati rotating assembly, for the money there a great deal because they come completely ready to bolt in. Balanced, finish polished, pin fit, matching bearings straight and ready to run, good kits for the $$.
    BTW I would never use any crankshaft made by Scat or Eagle (not saying there bad) or any crankshaft out of China for any engine over 800hp. For the type of power you are talking about. You need an american made crankshaft-- period. Personally I would use an Oliver or Cola crankshaft for this application, but Howard and Callies also have some decent stuff for a little less money.
    Hope this helps you out.

pw_Tony
    All the cars I've worked on or helped build the motors we used Eagle cranks. And I finally understand that they do need to be ran over to the shop first for a once over! Took mine in my Satellite over to Beans in El Cajon.
    Haven't used any Scats but I heard they're much closer to a finished product. Have done a lot of work with Scat rods though. The rods were right on the money, no honing required, well those were SBC sized rods.
    One other beef I had was with Probe Pistons. My boss ordered $10,000 worth of pistons, with three different sized domes for y-blocks. After I began balancing a few sets I realized they were all over the charts. So I had to take ALL the pistons and unsort them and group them up by different weights, but then once they were in a similar weight category I micced the width, and then those were all over the charts! So waring on Probe pistons, but maybe it was just all 100 sets of those ones

squirt
    Still haven't made my mind up yet but leaning towards Scat. I counted on bringing the crank and rods in for balancing and checking anyway I figured there was noway I was just going to assemble the stuff. Like always money is an issue and I'm not looking to cheap out but need the best bang for the buck. Just don't want to be pissing my $$$ away.

sdpm
    I have been using Scat product for over 15 years. Have never had a problem due to product failure. Sure there is better but for the most part and the majority of the lake and river goers it is perfect. Great product for the money.
    Have never used Eagle so I can't help you there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast