Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhino, Ranger, or Rail???

Outnumbered
    I'm shopping for a family-hauler desert toy since the wife injured her shoulder and the doc says no more quading for her (plus she never rode much anyway). She seems to be interested in the Ranger and I think it would be a good way to get the family out there and ride. I fit best in the Ranger for my size. The Rhino feels cramped to me. I'm also concerned about the small Rhino back seat for my growing kids (7 and 12 y/o).
    I think we will be doing mostly high country (Big Bear/Flagstaff type) riding in the summer with an occasional dune trip and some occasional local desert riding in winter.
    Anyway, I have found some real nice 4-seat rails in the same price range as a tricked out Rhino/Ranger. I know the Rhino is the fad but the rail seems like so much more car for the $$. I have ruled out a Jeep because of weight/size (toy box transport) issues and ride quality. I have had a Jeep and it was good times but the ride is too rough for Mrs. Out#.
    So, let's hear your opinions. What should I buy? I will listen to all sides and suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.

02HoWaRd26
    Rhino, all you have to do is drive them both and you will see. If you buy the Ranger be sure never to drive a rhino or you will be very upset....

OGShocker
    I'm shopping for a family-hauler desert toy since the wife injured her shoulder and the doc says no more quading for her (plus she never rode much anyway). She seems to be interested in the Ranger and I think it would be a good way to get the family out there and ride. I fit best in the Ranger for my size. The Rhino feels cramped to me. I'm also concerned about the small Rhino back seat for my growing kids (7 and 12 y/o).
    I think we will be doing mostly high country (Big Bear/Flagstaff type) riding in the summer with an occasional dune trip and some occasional local desert riding in winter.
    Anyway, I have found some real nice 4-seat rails in the same price range as a tricked out Rhino/Ranger. I know the Rhino is the fad but the rail seems like so much more car for the $$. I have ruled out a Jeep because of weight/size (toy box transport) issues and ride quality. I have had a Jeep and it was good times but the ride is too rough for Mrs. Out#.
    So, let's hear your opinions. What should I buy? I will listen to all sides and suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.
    I own both (one Rhino and two Rangers) and for the places you want to go I would choose the Ranger. A rail will not be much fun on some of the trails near Big Bear.
    My plus' and minus' are:
    +Ranger - Fuel Injected (no dicking with jets) Much more stable out of the box. Hard to "kill".
    - Ranger - Less aftermarket blingy stuff. Styling. Won't fit in the bed of a pick-up truck.
    +Rhino - Lots of add-ons to make them as cool as you can afford. You can load it up in your truck and go for a day ride.
    - Rhino - Slower top end speed, less cargo area. VERY unstable in stock configuration. $300.00 battery kit or stator rewind to add a good set of lights.
    These are just my brief thoughts. Here is a link (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...Comparison.htm) to show you some side by sides.
    Good luck!
    PS if you wanna by my rhino... PM me... j/k

RiverRatMike
    I own both (one Rhino and two Rangers) and for the places you want to go I would choose the Ranger. A rail will not be much fun on some of the trails near Big Bear.
    My plus' and minus' are:
    +Ranger - Fuel Injected (no dicking with jets) Much more stable out of the box. Hard to "kill".
    - Ranger - Less aftermarket blingy stuff. Styling. Won't fit in the bed of a pick-up truck.
    +Rhino - Lots of add-ons to make them as cool as you can afford. You can load it up in your truck and go for a day ride.
    - Rhino - Slower top end speed, less cargo area. VERY unstable in stock configuration. $300.00 battery kit or stator rewind to add a good set of lights.
    These are just my brief thoughts. Here is a link (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...Comparison.htm) to show you some side by sides.
    Good luck!
    PS if you wanna by my rhino... PM me... j/k
    what?
    slower top-end speed. My 06 Rhino with CDI upgrade, does 55mph and you don't need to dick with the jets. Rangers have clutch belt problems also, I'd stay away from Polaris

OGShocker
    what?
    slower top-end speed. My 06 Rhino with CDI upgrade, does 55mph and you don't need to dick with the jets. Rangers have clutch belt problems also, I'd stay away from Polaris
    Big Bear altitudes reach 7000 feet. Any "carb" motor would require "tweeking" to get the proper air/fuel ratio.
    Out of the box the Ranger is 10 MPH faster. You can make a brick haul ass with enough cash.
    Although the Ranger is proun to belt failure when taken over big jumps, as a trail UTV, they are quite reliable. I have over 300 hours on my XP in Canada and have had ZERO problems. Those people who know me know I am anything but kind to my equipment.

Not So Fast
    Thanks in advance.
    Well if you decide on a Rhino I have a really clean 07 Sport for sale and its never been off road, it's in the spam section. My thoughts on the back seat and kids is that it's not too smart to load such valuable cargo in a back seat that wasnt supposed to be there anyway and above the center of gravity which makes them unsafe, JMO. :idea: NSF

Outnumbered
    Thanks for the replies. No votes for rail, huh?
    A few things I have learned doing some research:
    1. The Rhino will not fit in the back of my SB truck.
    2. Rhino with spacers is just as wide as a stock Ranger--about 5'. Both are about 10' long.
    3. The Polaris belt issue was caused by a batch of bad motor mounts from the factory that were miss-alligned. This issue should be an easy fix if I buy used or non-issue if I buy new.
    4. I'm too tall for the Rhino and I get a kink in my leg driving it because the gas pedal is in an odd position.

riverbound
    what?
    Ummmm...you might want to get your facts straight, the only problems the Rangers HAD were in sand. they have since changed the belt compound and have had no problems. they offer the new belt for sale and everyone I know that went to the new belt has not seen one problem Having lots of experience with Both. I would say the room and the EFI of the Ranger are huge benefits. the fact the Rhino fits in a truck and looks better are also nice benefits to some. They ALL have their Quirks. The fun part is finding out which one best fits your needs.
    And the Razor in stock form will smoke even heavily modded Rhinos. I went down and watched a demo on a dirtbike track where Polaris invited quite a few aftermarket Rhino companies down to run againt a stock razor......the razor was lapping some of the Rhinos

Glamasu
    Outnumbered,
    What is your intended use?
    Trails in big bear?...= Rhino,Ranger
    Dessert, sand,with the "family" = Rail , Longtravel rail if you have the means.
    I have played with the rhino a little ...I would love to have one as a toy. But I wouldn't give up my long travel rail for one...
    Rail gives comfort and safety.....
    Its kinda like the the river .......Rhino , ranger= Lake lice
    Sandrail = Boat
    Which do you want to be???

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast