Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Made

baja 232
    ----- Original Message Just the Facts
    Share the following facts with your friends and neighbors.
    Help them understand why buying a GM or Ford vehicle is important to them, and to you and to this countries economy.
    Background
    While foreign auto manufacturers attempt to “wrap themselves in the American Flag,” the fact remains the same – the contributions to the U.S. economy by our foreign competition cannot compare to those made by GM & Ford and other American OWNED companies.
    Just the factsÂ….
    •Every day, nearly one million Americans earn their living helping GM build and sell cars in the United States
    •Every month 457,000 retirees and their spouses count on GM for Pension checks
    •Over 1.2 million Americans receive health care benefits from General Motors
    •GM is the only domestic manufacturer to rank above industry average in J D Powers Vehicle Dependability study; 40% improvement over last 3 years
    –Cadillac cars outranked Lexus
    –Buick and Cadillac both finished higher than Toyota
    •The domestic parts content for GM vehicles sold in North America is 82%. This means more jobs for Americans by American OWNED businesses. The profit stays in the U. S.
    –Toyota Motor Company’s domestic parts content is under 36%; Lexus band is 3.4%. Using these foreign made auto parts provides jobs for more Japanese, not Americans. The profit for these parts stay in Japan!
    General Motors – Contributions to the Economy
    •In the past 5 years, GM has invested over 20 billion in the U.S.
    •GM’s contribution to the U.S. Gross National Product is about 4 times that of Toyota
    The Domestic Auto Industry – Your Neighbors
    •GM, Ford and DCX manufacturer 75% of all cars and trucks built in the United States
    •The U.S. domestic auto manufacturers employ almost 90% of all American Auto Workers. The Big Three currently have about 470,000 direct employees in the United States , this is nearly 10 times as many as the Japanese transplants (49,000)
    •For every 100 vehicles sold in the United States , approximately 23 jobs are provided - nearly twice as many as our Japanese counterparts
    •GM, Ford and DCX provide health care benefits to over 1.8 million U.S. employees, retirees, and their families
    –Foreign competition provides approximately 281,000 U.S. employees, retirees and family members with health care benefits
    The Domestic Auto Industry – Your Community
    •Over 85% of the Total Investments in the U.S. Auto Industry since 1980 have been made by GM, Ford and DCX
    •Combined, GM, Ford and DCX spend over $16 Billion on Research and Development each year – more than any other industry
    •Profits earned by American OWNED manufacturers stay in the United States!
    Why is the following information important to you?
    •Discounted employee sales accounted for nearly 15% of total retail sales in 2003 – over 510,000 units – the equivalent of the annual production of 2 assembly plants. Friends & relatives purchases are important to the success of GM & Ford and to the survival of the U. S. economy. Every person in the U.S. will have their pocket book affected in some way. Odds are your 401k's, retirement pension funds, increased taxes, and even your & your neighbors jobs will feel the strain if U.S. companies continue to decline and the Japanese continue to force out and buy out U.S OWNED companies. Here is a listed of American companies that are now OWNED by the Japanese: http://www.overthehillcarpeople.com/...uers042105.htm . If you thought you would not be affected because you don't work for GM or Ford, you better think again! So use these facts to help encourage your friends & neighbors to buy GM/Ford and other products from American OWNED companies. Remember, every time a Foreign product is purchased from a Foreign OWNED company the net profit goes to that foreign country, not the U.S.A. This true even if the product is made in America. Tax payers get ready for some big tax increases to make up for these loses to the U.S. economy.
    Lets see now, China & other Foreign countries shut down the United States Steel Industry and our government did nothing to level the import competition......U. S. Airlines have been driven to bankruptcy by the radical Muslim countries and our government did nothing......Electronics (TV's, CD Players, Boom Boxes etc.) in the U. S. are now nonexistent and our government did nothing.....Mexicans are over running our country with 13 million illegal aliens and our government is doing nothing.....Oil prices and availability are being dictated to the U. S. by the Middle Eastern countries and our government is doing nothing....now the Japanese are driving U. S. automotive companies out of business and our government is doing nothing to level the import competition. How long will it be before the Japanese dictate what we drive and what we pay to drive it, like Oil is now? Ask yourself, where is this going to stop? What will America OWN in a few years? What will we sell to other countries?
    Is it in my best interest to purchases products MADE in America, but OWNED by Foreign governments and companies? The answer is NO!
    Act now to do your part....forward this to

Old Texan
    I call on automakers throughout the SE.
    Nissan: TN, MS, Toyota: AL, TX, Honda: AL, BMW: SC, Mercedes: AL, Hyundai: AL.
    All have done a tremendous amount for these state economies. Workers are locals. The support industry has brought a lot of new business and good paying jobs.
    I don't doubt what you are trying to say or question your stats, but the auto industry is alive and well and gravitating to the southern US. Vehicles built here are assembled from components and raw materials here in the states. I saw some figures at Nissan about their trucks components being a higher percentage domestic than Ford and GM who get a lot from MX and other out of country suppliers.
    I'm sure we could debate where each corps. money goes but I know for a fact the above mentioned foreign owned put a lot of food on the table in the USA.
    I grew up in MI and when I go visit Flint and Detroit, it sure doesn't look as healthy as the economies of Birmingham, Greenville, and Nashville.
    Also it might be interesting to talk to employees at each factory. GM is closing their Atlanta plant and Ford may not be far behind, but workers will no doubt find employment in the "new" auto industry.
    Maybe I'm missing something but the foreign aoutomakers I see have done a hell of lot for OUR economy.

baja 232
    I am really suprised that there was but one response,HBers must have alot of foreign autos in the driveway. I am a GM and a Ford owner and always will be. And I NEVER go into a Walmart. I forgot to mention that 1 in 8 jobs in the US are tied to the US auto industry is yours?This is the USA and you do have a choice , but someday your choice will be with or without syrup when you eat your foreign car.

spectratoad
    Nope, GMC & two Jeep's.
    I am sure they contribute to alot of the economy but I am just not very sympathetic to their troubles when it comes to the union crybabies. The vehicles to me are overpriced and that is not really GM's fault as they need to cover the overhead.
    I am by all means proud to drive an American car and will always do so but I just don't get all starry eyed with all the numbers in your post because those number are just a by-product of doing business not something they do on top of their normal business.
    Just my opinion.

Stoneman
    I spend my money on what is the best value. If that's was a GM product that would be what I own.
    I own toyotas and have since the late 70's. That was a time when american cars were junk, and admittedly designed to fail after a few years of use. From what I read in consumer reports they have not changed much.
    Buying a car is no different than anything else. Smart consumers shop for value, something the big 3 have difficulty in producing.

Kachina26
    And I NEVER go into a Walmart.What have you got against union dockworkers? I'm sure you must know that Walmart doesn't FLY all that crap in from over seas, right? It comes here on ships in shipping containers.
    http://hotspotshawaii.com/SBH_on_H4/...iner-ship1.jpg
    Then an AMERICAN dockworker loads it onto either a truck driven by an AMERICAN
    http://www.emmessar.com/images/MSRCo...Porttruck1.jpg
    Or perhaps a train car,
    http://www.balco.com.au/images/Patri...Containers.JPG
    I'm pretty sure the railroad employs a few people
    As far as American made vehicles, I work at a GM dealer and let me tell you that there were more 2's and 3's coming through there than 1's (go look at the first digit of your VIN and you will be able to tell where it was made, 1=USA 2=canada 3=mex). Now of course, this is just anecdotal. But it's what I see daily. I drive a GMC truck and 2 hyundais, my buicks couldn't stand up to my daily commute and they were killing me on fuel (fuel, something that other countries profit from). Also, I think if you went somewhere a little less biased for your numbers, you would find that the "facts" you posted were just a little out of line.
    Like it or not, it's gonna be a global economy. We can jump in and kick ass, or we can get dragged in kicking and screaming and lose our ass. It's our choice.

ChumpChange
    Baja got SERVED!

DCBob
    Lets see now, China & other Foreign countries shut down the United States Steel Industry and our government did nothing to level the import competition......U. S. Airlines have been driven to bankruptcy by the radical Muslim countries and our government did nothing......Electronics (TV's, CD Players, Boom Boxes etc.) in the U. S. are now nonexistent and our government did nothing.....Mexicans are over running our country with 13 million illegal aliens and our government is doing nothing.....Oil prices and availability are being dictated to the U. S. by the Middle Eastern countries and our government is doing nothing....now the Japanese are driving U. S. automotive companies out of business and our government is doing nothing to level the import competition. How long will it be before the Japanese dictate what we drive and what we pay to drive it, like Oil is now? Ask yourself, where is this going to stop? What will America OWN in a few years? What will we sell to other countries?
    It's not like our goverment is doing nothing..........they're allowing our private property to be taken over by Emminent Domain so it can be re-sold/directed into new tax cash cows to build their little fifedoms and support the absurd levels of government we now have to look after our every needs

Stoneman
    It's not like our goverment is doing nothing..........they're allowing our private property to be taken over by Emminent Domain so it can be re-sold/directed into new tax cash cows to build their little fifedoms and support the absurd levels of government we now have to look after our every needs
    Ok smart guy, what should the goverment do???? And how should they do it???

DCBob
    Ok smart guy, what should the goverment do???? And how should they do it???
    I vote just like other taxpayers that give a shit about the likes of this topic. I am not qualified nor is it my job to advise the government. I'm kinda like the rest of the folks that got nothing to do except worry about what some other person posts on an internet website about Hot Boats :yuk:

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast