Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of quitting boating?

THOR
    With the recent reports of accidents and close calls it has got me thinking. Although I am not ready to quit boating at Havasu, I really like seeing my kids having so much fun hanging on the beach with us and with the grandparents. I have fond memories as a little kid of going to Mead and Powell with my parents and nothing was greater than that time. Nothing.
    I want to give my kids that kind of enjoyment that my brother and I had when we were kids. That being said, I never go up river on the weekends, but I do go to Moabi on Friday mornings and let the kids hang out and swim on the beach. I dont find that part of the river all that bad up til noon or so. Then we go back down to the lake part and hang on a beach.
    Am I being overly paranoid about all this? I think I might be, but hearing what happened to that poor little girl makes me think twice.

USCFAN
    I think quiting boating is punishing your family. Although it has been a downer hearing about the incidents on the lake, I think it's important not to make a emotional decision that effects you and your families enjoyment on the lake. We have to just remember to take the precations needed to insure our families safety. There are idiots no matter where you go and what you do. Are you going to stop driving because you here of some idiot drunk driver slamed into the side of a vehicle and killed people? I think you may just be being a little paranoid. That is not a bad thing though it just means you are being aware.

RaceFace
    I changed our summer boating schedule 2 years ago to mondays through thursdays and our week long vacations out there are in mid may (when school is in session) and early October (school back in session). I do NOT boat on weekends anymore.
    I have a 4 and 7 year old and I got tired of feeling like I was taking their lives in my hands every time we went out. And go to the sandbar?? Forget it!! You have dildo's doing 100mph on a crowded river and thinking its THEIR river, and if youre slower than them you are a f*cktard, idiots up at the sandbar starting fights and lotsa nudity. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE nudity, but the Sandbar is NO place for kids on a weekend. I go there on a weekday and throw frisbees with my boys without a worry at all.
    Fortunately I can adjust my schedule at work to have fun on weekdays. If I couldnt, I dont think I would be going.

Racey
    Accidents can happen to anyone, but if you are a good safe boater you have much much less of a chance of having one happen to you, Keep your eyes open, you know the drill. Most of these tragedies are caused by a combination of both parties involved. Giving up boating is just throwing in the towel, i could never ever think about giving up boating, no matter what the scenario.

THOR
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am constantly looking over my shoulder soas not to "hold" up the 100+ mph big dog and to not get in their way. I also never spend time as the sandbar nor to I go up river on Saturdays.
    I would love to boat on the weekdays, but I am in sales and simply cant afford to vacation anytime except the weekends. It sucks, but I cant.

Magic34
    I changed my style of boating. Went from a 95 MPH cat to a 55 MPH cruiser. We cruise around at 30 MPH and aviod the madness.
    It is normal to think like this. My decision came after last year's poker run accidents. Instead of doing the run, I'll just be a card stop now.

Magic34
    I changed my style of boating. Went from a 95 MPH cat to a 55 MPH cruiser. We cruise around at 30 MPH and aviod the madness.
    It is normal to think like this. My decision came after last year's poker run accidents. Instead of doing the run, I'll just be a card stop now.

OutCole'd
    We've changed how and where we boat, but I'm not giving it up. We don't head up river at all any more. We launch & head South. Find a cove & kick it.
    I don't bring beer on the boat anymore (because I know that I don't limit myself well). I avoid the crowds and the channel and I don't have any problems.
    We usually try to head in early also. I'm usually off the water by 3:00 or 4:00. I think that helps avoid some of the drunks.
    PWC's are still my biggest concerns, most of my close calls are with them and their inability to turn their heads.

THOR
    We launch & head South. Find a cove & kick it.
    As do we. We have always done this. I dont find any enjoyment with staging for position to go up river to fight with all the 200K boats.

superdave013
    With the recent reports of accidents and close calls
    This is nothing new and happens every year. And it's always the same responses here. You know the "oh my god, I can't believe that could happen" response.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast