Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: B.A.D.D. Boaters Against Drunk Driving

TheCarDudes
    This is continuation of what I posted in another thread which I reposted here. There have already been many responses in support on the idea as well as monitary support from a few members here.
    This post is from the thread where the little girl died at Topock
    I don't post very often with opinions or strong gesture but I couldn't resist.
    This whole thing is just terrible. We have 3 kids 15,14 and 3. I could not imagine life without any one of them. I could not imagine life being any part of that incident; making the call, receiving the call, driving the boat reponsible and living with that on my conscience. It's just bad all the way around.
    R.I.P. little angel. Our prayers go to everyone to find the strength to get through this.
    Hopefully this is a wake up call for everyone.
    I think we need to all step up and try to take some control of the situation. Like it has already been stated, with accidents like this, it will only be a matter of time before we are stripped of our freedom as we enjoy it today in regards to boating in Havasu and surrounding areas. Unreasonable speed limits will be set, rules will be changed, laws will be passed. As Rex said, high performance boating might not survive another decade, at least not in Havasu if this keeps up.
    It seems that there are a certain group of people here that are willing to make a difference now. I pledge to be part of that group. I think the idea of printing the article and keeping it on the boat is great. I'm going to do it. I going to go one step further. I'm going to print extra copies to pass out to boaters that I see are drinking and even thinking about driving.
    I suggest we take it one step further. With alcohol being suspected to be involved and most probably true in the last 3 fatalities in Havasu and the river, I think it's time for some kind of movement. We need to establish a "group name" against boating under the influence. It should go beyond the flyers and printed articles. I know there are a bunch of companies related to the industry that would or should be happy to support this cause. We need to have T-Shirts of a unique color printed. Wearing one of these t-shirts while you are boating states that you support the cause. I remember a HB memeber in spam looking for silk screening work. Maybe we can get a great deal from him. We can make our presence shown so that others will hopefully feel compelled out of respect to join in. Come on people. We can all post on here and state our opinion, I think we need to make it known in the public and be so obvious that we make a difference. I have read many posts up to this one about what everyone is commiting. Let's take it to the next step before it gets to the next step on its own in a bad way.
    We just need the help of a few indiviuals in town to get this done. We need someone to design the shirt. Any graphics designers here? We need some one to coordinate the silk screening. Everyone can pitch in with either contacting anyone in the industry they do business with in town for some kind of a small donation to get the shirts done. This will help keep the cost down for any individuals that want to purchase these shirts. There could also be some other ideas funded by these donations to help stop OUI. I'm reaching out to anyone who wants to be invloved. Boat manufacturers, service facilities, restaurants, anyone and everyone.
    Is this a lofty goal? Can we do this? I think we can. I sure want to make a difference now. Just think of that sick feeling you got by reading this post from the beginning. Convert that to determination to make this happen.
    I would like to make the first commitment for a donation. I will personally donate $500.00 to help get this going. I want to see it happen for the safety of my family and everyone else on the lake. A very small price to pay for everyone's well being. Any small donation by a business or an individual will get us that much closer to making this happen. We need the power of many. The many people here that care.
    Please keep this positive people. Please post only positive remarks instead of bashing the idea. I know it may sound like a huge undertaking, buy I know it can happen in some form at some level and grow. I know there are people that watch things happen and people that make things happens. I'm looking for the ladder of the two. A long time ago a group of mothers against drunk driving formed MADD, look at them today. The D.A.R.E. program has been exteremely effective everywhere. This can happen, at least in our little resort town. I need a few peeps to step up to take responsibilty to help me get this done. Any of those people either retired or with some extra time on our hands in Havasu, please speak up. It's not much to do if you have the time.
    Our goal is to keep our intentions true and real. We have made many comparisons to driving a car. No matter what your position on the boating subject is or will be, we will still think it is OK to go to dinner and have a beer or glass of wine and them drive home. I think that is OK. It is why we have "legal limits" of blood alcohol content laws. I don't think this is about saying that anyone who is a part of this will never enjoy "A" beer with their turkey sandwich while anchored in a cove somewhere. And maybe another beer an hour or two later before it is time to pull the anchor and go home. This is about responsibilty, not abstinance. If you need to completely abstain from drinking to reach your goal, then that is your decision. Just rememer that your choice to drink affects everyone in your boat as well as everyone else on the lake around you that day. So, make your decisions accordingly. Set goals to be responsible and to be an example. Don't set goals to be failed. Just be responsible.
    Once again, I will start this fund with the first $500. PLEASE keep this positive. Post up any ideas you have to contribute here.
    Peace
    George

Magic34
    As I said in the other thread, I am in 110%.

VictoryIzMine
    Moderators...Please make this thread a Sticky.

driverno8
    I'm in and second making this a sticky

BoatPI
    ??

ULTRA26 # 1
    Also as I stated in the other thread, I'm in on this one
    BoatPI here is your pic
    http://***boat.com/forums/attachment...0&d=1186425564

TheCarDudes
    Also as I stated in the other thread, I'm in on this one
    BoatPI here is your pic
    http://***boat.com/forums/attachment...0&d=1186425564
    I like this pic. Very simple and to the point. It should be incorporated on the shirts, stickers, pamphlets, etc. We can discuss the benefits of starting a chapter of the national B.A.D.D. as compared to starting our own deal (LHBADD). As soon as I get the info from them, I'll post it up here.

boats&bars
    Good thinking, The problem is not just at havasu maybe a campain for everyone, I think a 800 number for these dumb asses to call and get towed in might help, kinda like the AAA arive alive program.

jbtrailerjim
    Turns out that there already is a Boaters Against Drunk Driving organization. Maybe a Havasu chapter could get started?
    http://www.badd.org/chapters.htm

TheCarDudes
    Turns out that there already is a Boaters Against Drunk Driving organization. Maybe a Havasu chapter could get started?
    http://www.badd.org/chapters.htm
    Yes. Someone else pointed it oit in the other thread. I've already contacted them and have info on the way.
    Thanx for the heads up.
    George

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast