Thread: pistons

vigilante07
    what the diffrence between low compression and high compression pistons and what does it take to run a blower on a 454 do you have to have dome pistons or flattop pistons thanks

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
    JE piston #106904. 4.280

WannabeRacing
    Really, it is very simple math. Lower compression pistons allow for lots of room for big amounts of blower boost. High compression is basically setting things up for less blower, and more motor horsepower. But we need to know way more to really help. Is this a gas deal? Alcohol? What size blower? etc. The higher compression stuff in an alcohol deal helps the thing to run better on the bottom end. Idle better, and the like. Where running low compression makes things a little tougher down low. But each has its room depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Race 100% or 100% party barge?
    And as for brands, look at what the big guys run. Lots of Venolia (Tough pistons!) BME, nice pieces with good finishing, an occasional JE. But if this thing is not a big race deal, there are lots of brands that you can use.

IMPATIENT 1
    i'm runnin flat top blower srp's. had it all balanced and the srp's were super close on weight, to close to remove anything. i shouldn't run anymore than 9-10psi on my set-up, my compression is tooo high.but like wannabe stated, i knew my blower was little and not gonna do much boost so i compensated with higher compression

Smitty19
    Really, it is very simple math. Lower compression pistons allow for lots of room for big amounts of blower boost. High compression is basically setting things up for less blower, and more motor horsepower. But we need to know way more to really help. Is this a gas deal? Alcohol? What size blower? etc. The higher compression stuff in an alcohol deal helps the thing to run better on the bottom end. Idle better, and the like. Where running low compression makes things a little tougher down low. But each has its room depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Race 100% or 100% party barge?
    And as for brands, look at what the big guys run. Lots of Venolia (Tough pistons!) BME, nice pieces with good finishing, an occasional JE. But if this thing is not a big race deal, there are lots of brands that you can use.
    Putting my own blown deal back together 555, AFR, gas ran 10lbs intercooled 14-71 last time. had about 8.6 cop. ran 30% 110 with 92 just to be safe. my question is at what point does the ratio go over pump gas? I've heard the trend going to 9-1 or more? run less over drive or stay at 8.5 for the most relability?