Thread: 225 Johnson Info???

bajaman
    Running a freshly rebuilt (last year) 1986 Johnson 225VRO and wondering about redline. I run it about 6200rpm with no problems. Am looking at velocity stacks, hood louvers and a head cut to boost comp.
    I have been told 6500rpm is no problem with this engine but I am unsure. Anyone out there had experiance with these engines? Any tips or tricks or even just opions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance...

snappertapper
    dont know a whole lot about max rpm but i know for fact, we used to run them on our commercial boats, and when the props got worn out they would run atleast 6500 i would guess 6700 would be about the max though

DUCKY
    I believe these engines have a natural harmonics problem in the 6300-6500 range that is very hard on the crank. Try to keep it out of this area.

snappertapper
    Im not sure what it is but seems like every ime i ever blew one up it was a crank problem or a wrist pin.

Stoked
    bajaman
    I had a 87 Stoker with a 225. I had the rev. limiters removed, and a nose cone, the motor would spin 6450 with a 29" prop. The motor was very dependable and ran real strong, never a problem. If you are serious about OMC performance contact Alan Stoker at Johns Custom Marine (714) 827-7920 he know all the tricks and builds some badass motors.

bajaman
    Stoked,

bajaman
    Stoked,
    Do you have an e-mail address for John's custom? Also how much did your rig weigh? My hull is 1300lbs plus the v-6 and I have trouble with anything over a 23" even with the jack up. I spin about 6200 and would like to pick up a couple of hundred rpms.

Stoked
    bajaman
    I am not exactly sure but I think the bare hull weighed around 800-950#, The top speed of the boat was 85mph. I was real close to having Al build my 225 but, elected to purchase a new 22' Stoker instead. I have a friend with on of Al's hand built V-8's it has been very dependable and pushes a 22' Stoker an honest 90 mph. Al is very knowledgeable. Back when he raced mod-VP, he spanked lots of the Mercury boys behinds. Their website is www.stokerboats.com They are real "old school" so I would just give them a call.
    Good Luck Steve