Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first dyno.

Bailey
    very nice Dan. What was your rpm range?

Danhercules
    What do ya mean by RPM range?
    I can tell ya about oil pressure!!! Makin 80 all around with the HFD prepped oil pump!!

Bailey
    what was the max hp, and at what rpm?

LakesOnly
    I can tell ya about oil pressure!!! Makin 80 psi all around with the HFD prepped oil pump!!The stable oil pressure is a big plus that comes from the block oiling mods in conjuction with the Stage 1 prepped pump. Of course, the rest of the oiling system can have a major influence on pressure and needs to be working harmoniously in order for the oil pressure to be maintained, but the narrow range in overall pressure is something that I've always found pleasing with the block mods and Stage 1 oil pump combo.
    Some of the key mods in our oil pumps play multiple roles in improving certain oiling characteristics, and one of the benefits is the narrow, consistent pressure range. Another mod both reduces oil pump drag and another stabilizes distributor timing.
    I'm not going to go into every little detail on the pump mods that we do, but for the purposes of illustrating the modification efforts, I'll display one of the features. Look at the pictures below.
    The first picture is of an oem Ford specification Melling stock replacement oil pump, NOT the high volume M84DHV. Notice that the pump's exit gallery is mostly blocked off by the bypass piston protruding into the exit gallery (left side of gerotor cavity):
    Stock Spec Pump:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~highflowd...mellingoem.jpg
    That's a stock spec 460 pump above. Now, the M84DHV has a taller gerotor and therefore moves a greater volume of oil. Therefore in the M84DHV, the bypass piston has been extended somewhat further away from the pump's exit gallery so as to reduce its obstruction and allow more oil flow:
    M84DHV Pump:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~highflowd...ing2before.jpg
    Now, look below at this feature in one of our modified pumps:
    Modified Melling M84DHV Pump:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~highflowd...gmod2after.jpg
    Note in the above photo that the bypass piston is installed and yet in no way does it obstruct oil flow as the oil exits the pump. That's how an oil pump's exit gallery should look on the inside.
    (Important note: The above photo shows this single modification while still "in process" and not the finished product, after all other mods elsewhere, chamfering, blending, cleaning, etc.)
    I dare consider that the modifications of our oil pumps reduce HP loss complared to an unmodified one, and possibly versus an unmodified oem standard volume pump. Further, our pumps potentially improve/add HP by way of one of their featured mod's that also stabilizes distributor timing which we all know results in better power. And finally, they can deliver more oil which is great for high load engines.
    It is this kind of detail that was applied throughout Herc's engine, and so far we've only talked about (part of) his oil pump.
    LO

Danhercules
    what was the max hp, and at what rpm?
    Max RPM was at 6400.
    Our goal was to spin at 6200 RPM, in the boat. At 6200 RPM I made 4 less HP than I did hat 6400. WAY TO GO HFD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hack job
    not too shabby

LakesOnly
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...sheet-med.JPGq
    The numbers are pleasing; also, I'm afraid there's still more HP in it. Due to some top end oiling debugging from the start of the day, some valve train parts were changed out for the sake of getting to the pulls, and the replacement parts installed by the facility--I feel certain--cost the top end about 11-14 HP. Additionally due to the time constraints, trials of carb spacers were never evaluated and I think we might have found abouther 9-12 HP there (the posted results are without a plenum-increasing carb spacer). In other words, this engine could have conceivably generated about 760 peak horsepower on pump gas. I realize this goes against our goal of hitting absolute target, but as good as the recorded numbers are, I just know from lots of personal experience that there is another 25HP or so in the longblock in its current configuration.
    Bottom line is, when the day was over and Herc had his 700+HP, he felt there was no need to search for any more.
    Also, I wish to emphasize the fact(s) that this engine recorded 737HP with a very conservative 9.8:1 compression ratio and one carburetor.
    LO

The numbers are pleasing; also, I'm afraid there's still more HP in it. Due to some top end oiling debugging from the start of the day, some valve train parts were changed out for the sake of getting to the pulls, and the replacement parts installed by the facility--I feel certain--cost the top end about 11-14 HP. Additionally due to the time constraints, trials of carb spacers were never evaluated and I think we might have found abouther 9-12 HP there (the posted results are without a plenum-increasing carb spacer). In other words, this engine could have conceivably generated about 760 peak horsepower on pump gas. I realize this goes against our goal of hitting absolute target, but as good as the recorded numbers are, I just know from lots of personal experience that there is another 25HP or so in the longblock in its current configuration.
    Bottom line is, when the day was over and Herc had his 700+HP, he felt there was no need to search for any more.
    Also, I wish to emphasize the fact(s) that this engine recorded 737HP with a very conservative 9.8:1 compression ratio and one carburetor.
    LO
    Paul,
    Also note the torque band. We cant say for sure since the recording of the pull starts at 4600 but the torque band is very flat only loosing 5% of peak by 5900 rpm. . .1300 rpm on the topside of the power curve and still has over 600#/ft at 6200. This thing should pull like a freight train....
    Chris

Nice...when we going to Elsinore

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast