Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is drunk?

hotsand65
    ME

Boatcop
    How many people caught this story last week in the Havasu Herald?
    Lake Havasu included in OUI study
    By DAVID BELL
    Friday, August 3, 2007 7:56 PM MST
    A Southern California research firm is using activity on Lake Havasu in a study on how best to determine whether a boater is impaired by alcohol.
    The Southern California Research Institute has been contracted by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators to develop and validate standardized field-sobriety tests for marine law environment.
    “People can't always stand or walk on a boat,” said Dary Fiorentino, SCRI executive director. “We wanted a sense of water conditions and impact on officers.”
    SCRI is the research firm that came up with the field-sobriety tests (FST) used by law enforcement on dry land. This is also the second time the firm looked at FSTs on the water. A study was initiated in 1992, also on Lake Havasu, but never completed.
    “I don't believe there's a better place to do that sort of testing than right here where everything started,” said Mohave County sheriff's Lt. Randy Johnson. “I'm excited that they're finally doing this, the sheriff is excited, and we will offer any help we can.”
    For this recent round of research, SCRI sent researchers to three locations: Lake Havasu, Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and Atlantic Ocean beaches in South Carolina.
    Johnson and Fiorentino credited Tim Baumgarten, law enforcement program manager for Arizona Fish and Game, with keeping Lake Havasu and Mohave County at the forefront of the study.
    Baumgarten was unavailable for comment.
    “I personally went to Lake Havasu June 21-23. I'd never been there before and it was very interesting,” Fiorentino said. “I saw hundreds and hundreds of people moored on the side of the river, drinking.”
    Fiorentino said that made him realize that, at least for Lake Havasu tourists, drinking is a significant part of the boating experience.
    “That's troublesome because at some point they have to go somewhere and then there are a lot of impaired operators out there,” he said.
    Fiorentino praised the law enforcement agencies on Lake Havasu, saying they were the nation's leaders in identifying and dealing with boat operators impaired by alcohol.
    “I also saw a bigger threat of drinking and boating in Arizona than other areas. So it's not surprising your officers are better prepared,” Fiorentino said.
    “We're a step ahead because we participated in an initial study they did in '92,” Johnson said. “We adopted those preliminary tests years ago and have been using them ever since. Arizona teaches them in watercraft survival school.”
    The study will take three years to complete. Using the data gathered in the three waterway visits, researchers will attempt to craft as many workable boating FSTs as possible. Some of the tests will involve motor skills, but the majority will be cognitive in nature.
    In year two, SCRI will begin testing the tests. Volunteers will be dosed and tests conducted in a double-blind situation. In a double-blind test, neither the tester nor the subject is aware of which items are controlled.
    Year two testing will be conducted at the SCRI research facility in Los Angeles.
    In year three, with a series of FSTs that passed the controlled tests, officers will be trained and the tests conducted in the field.
    “Year three will be to make sure of what works in the real world,” Fiorentino said.
    That will lead to a series of standardized tests every law enforcement agency on any body of water can use when an operator is suspected of drunken boating.
    The U.S. Coast Guard reported a 39 percent increase in alcohol-related boating fatalities between 1987 and 2005. But alcohol-related boating fatalities dropped 22 percent between 2002 and '05 as more boaters began designating a sober operator.
    Maybe some of the ballers on here can volunteer to assist in the controlled study. I'm sure it would be a wake up call for everyone.

Boatcop
    It's not what you blow the night before.
    I don't think people realize that the hang-over the next morning,you still have alcohol content (higher then most people realize) blowing from your lungs...
    I work with a very normal (alky I guess) guy, shows up everyday for 8 years blah,blah,blah...
    Blew a .18 at 11 in the morning...from the night before.
    If you're curious,buy a breathalyzer...
    I arrested a guy last year at 10:00 AM who swore he hadn't had anything to drink that morning. I believed him. But he was still a .14%.
    Later he told me that they quit drinking and went to bed at 4:00 AM. He had just up at 9:00 and took the boat out.
    I stopped him because he came south around the point at Buckskin Park and swerved around a PWC that was about 10 feet off the cliff on the California side. He made 3 boats take evasive action, as he was way into the north bound side. He was about 20 feet off the buoyed swim area at Buckskin when I stopped him.

HavasuSelect
    I have arrested numerous alcoholics with B.A.C.'s in the high two's. The last good one that comes to mind is a .28 on the breath. Also submitted to blood which came back higher (which is normally the case) at a .29. Walked, talked and acted like the everyday Joe. Told me his problem is so bad that he has to medicate (alcohol) every morning just to function on a daily basis.
    Just out of curiosity...how were his behind the wheel skills? Was poor driving your probable cause to jam him?

Kim Hanson
    For any of you who haven't been around a while and think these discussions about drinking are pretty out of hand, think again. We've had far more intense discussions than this.
    I wonder how much research went into the .08 figure that seems to be the predominant legal definition here in North America. I assume a lot.
    I know some alcoholics who can really knock back the booze and still seem pretty normal. Still, handle it as they may, I wouldn't want a good liquor holding alchy driving me around LA at 0.12. He might seem normal as hell and function better than the average guy and even drive well in that state, but I wouldn't trust his judgement in a squeeze.
    .... so what level of impairment is acceptable? Surely, .00 is rubbish. If alcohol is that bad, perhaps it should be prohibited outright.
    I was drinking with Holligan lastnight and dat is never good I think we all drank a shit load of booze and I think it was the everclear ( now why would some call shit that dat clear, your head is going to be cloudy, evercloudy sounds better ) I went to work focked up and had to drive 2hrs. to get to the rig.I am still hurting right now ..........( . )( . ).........

Tom Brown
    I was drinking with Holligan lastnight and dat is never good I think we all drank a shit load of booze and I think it was the everclear ( now why would some call shit that dat clear, your head is going to be cloudy, evercloudy sounds better ) I went to work focked up and had to drive 2hrs. to get to the rig.I am still hurting right now ..........( . )( . ).........
    If you and Hooli send me your t-shirt size, I'll send you each B.A.D.D. t-shirts.
    It would be cool to hook up again one of these days, Kim. Is it my turn to be the designated driver this year, or yours?

Kim Hanson
    If you and Hooli send me your t-shirt size, I'll send you each B.A.D.D. t-shirts.
    It would be cool to hook up again one of these days, Kim. Is it my turn to be the designated driver this year, or yours?
    It would be good to hook up again Tommy.........( . )( . )...........

Jbb
    It would be good to hook up again Tommy.........( . )( . )...........
    You two drunks should get a room...

Mattman
    Just out of curiosity...how were his behind the wheel skills? Was poor driving your probable cause to jam him?
    He was stopped at an intersection waiting for the light to change. Unfortunately the light was already green and had been for quite some time. Did fairly well on his FST's the problem for him is the eyes don't lie. HGN (Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus) will give it away every time.

shueman
    Quite a few people need a shot and two beers, just to get started in the morning. That's why some bars are open at 6:00am...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast