Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: set back pump

IndianaTahiti
    Well I am looking for inpuit.I will be painting and filling small flaws in the hull this winter and I am thinking about setting the pump further back.Right now the hand hole cover is well inside the transom.This is a heavy boat(19 foot tahiti bubble tiger, jc pump).I think this style of boat would benifit from this.It looks like I could just move the intake back on the holes and fill in the hole that is left.I am going to change the pump to a legends or dominator. Give me your inpuit

IMPATIENT 1
    its the big hole left up frt when you move a stock intake back that's the problem think about a different intake 1st

BrendellaJet
    just curious, why get rid of the JC?

IMPATIENT 1
    i was thinking the same. maybe try some droops, snoot, or something before trying a set-back. i've reset intakes before and that alone is tough for beginers, doin a set-back would be trouble for a newbie, i wouldn't even attempt to do a set-back myself.to many angles and stuff to get rite, leave it too someone who has done it alot plus a set-back will need to be reset every once in awhile to reseal.

BrendellaJet
    Well, I would do the setback. Its not a difficult job as long as you plan and research how its done and take your time. As long as you dont break through the transom the setback wont leak any more than the current set does. My setback leaks like a biatch, but I pulled the intake and am going to brace it when I reset it so that the intake gets some support from the transom.

IndianaTahiti
    its the big hole left up frt when you move a stock intake back that's the problem think about a different intake 1st
    The only intakes that I have seen have been for all out racing applications.

IndianaTahiti
    Allmost every one on here seems to either change to a split bowl or a totally different pump all together:idea: My pump is useable just tired,I have seen used bowls on ebay but they usually go kind of high.I added up how much it would be to pc. together with a place diverter(then rebuilt) and was very close to a new set up(2 to 2.5 g)I would always prefer new over old when the prices are comparable.

BrendellaJet
    Not sure what you mean by "Race" intake. If you are going to do a setback you should definitely have a shoe & ride plate installed. Its worth it in terms of performance and tunability.
    There is a solution to the "hole" left over when you setback a pump. you can:
    A) Fiberglass the hole using the piece that was cut out to allow the setback.
    or
    B) Use a piece of aluminum and bolt it to the intake and set that piece when you set the intake. Then epoxy the cutout piece below the aluminum and glass it in from the bottom. I used this method and it works. no leaks at all. here is a pick to help you understand:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...Boat_81310.jpg

IndianaTahiti
    Well, I would do the setback. Its not a difficult job as long as you plan and research how its done and take your time. As long as you dont break through the transom the setback wont leak any more than the current set does. My setback leaks like a biatch, but I pulled the intake and am going to brace it when I reset it so that the intake gets some support from the transom.
    It would seem to me That all the angles are going to be the same if I just move back and use the same holes.The motor sets about 24 inches in front of the transom,just thought I could move it back 6 to 8 inches to get more weight in the ass end.The bow on this boat is not as long as the super bubble tigers, so the placement of the passengers is a little more towards the front of the boat which makes it ride very wet. Do you have transom plates that you made?:idea:

SB
    This is lot of work, what are your goals?
    Give us your hp, speed, rpm, etc., now.
    If you want more holeshot, a pump rebuild with a new impeller would be the ticket.
    If you want more speed, some engine mods like better heads, might be more bang for the buck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast