Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Day

Havasu Luvr
    As long as I have been going to the river/Havi (a long time) I have never understood how people can feel comfortable with just floating down the river while other boats are motoring by. If anything, you are a navigating hazard, as most of the time floating boats tend to be in the middle of the river.
    Obviously you're the type that has the need for speed Try it sometime. I think you will find it just as enjoyable if not more then running 70mph. This reminds me of a group of riders I run with that only knows one speed (85mph) no matter where we run to. Our last run a few month ago was up north (hwy 395) to June Lake Loop....you guessed it....85mph. But I would only run 60 - 65mph just to be able to see and smell the meadows through Olancha, to smell to odor of Owens dry lake, to see the herds of Antalope in the meadows between Lonepine and Bishop. one word AMAZING! ! ! When we got to our destination I was blabbering about the views and smells I experienced on the way up and every single other rider had no idea what I was talking about. SOME TIMES it is good to experiance a floatilla.....
    I also did not know that the middle of the river was a "No Parking" zone...go figure

havaduner
    The no wake section in the gorge is an awesome float area. Safe and beautifull.
    Exactly!

havaduner
    Floating hazard or not, WTF makes people think they can bob and weave through traffic at 70+ MPH?
    The lack of common sense and courtesy has alot to do with the accidents and near accidents that seem to be occuring every weekend on the river these days, but for arguments sack, why do people feel the need to float on a narrow body of water, with people coming at them from every direction, no matter what the speed. RiverToyJas says he was nearly T-boned by a 21ft Essex full of people. I bet they werent going more than 48,mph, set on kill.

havaduner
    Obviously you're the type that has the need for speed Try it sometime. I think you will find it just as enjoyable if not more then running 70mph. This reminds me of a group of riders I run with that only knows one speed (85mph) no matter where we run to. Our last run a few month ago was up north (hwy 395) to June Lake Loop....you guessed it....85mph. But I would only run 60 - 65mph just to be able to see and smell the meadows through Olancha, to smell to odor of Owens dry lake, to see the herds of Antalope in the meadows between Lonepine and Bishop. one word AMAZING! ! ! When we got to our destination I was blabbering about the views and smells I experienced on the way up and every single other rider had no idea what I was talking about. SOME TIMES it is good to experiance a floatilla.....
    I also did not know that the middle of the river was a "No Parking" zone...go figure
    Yeah, I like to go fast, and sometime I do like to slow down, and enjoy the views. My throttle actually does have more than one setting, but I also dont stop in the middle of the freeway, to take a closer look at the flowers on the side of the road.

vee-driven
    Do you stop and play on the freeway!

RiverToysJas
    RiverToyJas says he was nearly T-boned by a 21ft Essex full of people. I bet they werent going more than 48,mph, set on kill.
    No they weren't, the driver also couldn't see ahead of the boat due to people sitting in the bow. People are not coming from all directions either, they are coming from either up river, or down river. There are floaters, tubers, skiers, pontoons, wake board boats, canoes & kayaks, fisherman, and even swimmers ..... all using the river with equal rights. It's the job of the driver of each boat to know the rules of navigation (which allow floating and high speed), and to avoid other vessels. Period.
    I'm not making a big deal of it, close-calls happen, that's part of river boating. This was not a close-call that was called for though. Had he been watching the river in front of his boat, there wouldn't of been an issue.
    The other guy might not see you, because he's stupid, drunk, or both....we were off to one side drift by the beaches, plenty of room to go around. I've been boating the river a long time, I keep others in mind. I sometimes get annoyed by floaters, depending on where they are, I also get annoyed at wake board boats and people who cruise the whole river half on plane all day. Canoers can get annoying too....but again, they have every right to be there. Not being able to see where you're going though??? That's another problem altogether.
    RTJas

Bad Baja
    Saturday we launched out of Needles and headed south to the sandbar. I understand there are alot of boats heading up and down river and there isnt much room to squeeze by slower moving boats, plus the sea dooers that are just oblivious as to what is going on around them. But what I dont understand is how a parent can put three little kids on an inner tube and whip them all over the river at 5 oclock in the afternoon. I had to pull totally out of the throttle numerous times, and I was only going about 40 mph to avoid these said kids on a tube. I think the police should start enforcing child endangerment laws and start locking up these parents that are putting their kids in harms way. And as far as the jet skis, damn it stay to the sides. Shit you only need 1 foot of water to drive in, why must you insist driving in middle of the river. Ahhhhhh I hate you jet skiers. I know why you guys end up broken and dead, bottom line is your are stupid.

Havasu Luvr
    Yeah, I like to go fast, and sometime I do like to slow down, and enjoy the views. My throttle actually does have more than one setting, but I also dont stop in the middle of the freeway, to take a closer look at the flowers on the side of the road.
    Hmmmmm? I must re-evaluate my understanding of the river. You are right, I do NOT stop on the freeways and my appoligies to you and EVERY OTHER IDIOT who thinks the river is a freeway. :idea: I'll make sure I pull over at the nearest rest stop or off ramp.....

mxbundy
    Saturday we launched out of Needles and headed south to the sandbar. I understand there are allot of boats heading up and down river and there isn't much room to squeeze by slower moving boats, plus the sea doers that are just oblivious as to what is going on around them. But what I don't understand is how a parent can put three little kids on an inner tube and whip them all over the river at 5 O'Clock in the afternoon. I had to pull totally out of the throttle numerous times, and I was only going about 40 mph to avoid these said kids on a tube. I think the police should start enforcing child endangerment laws and start locking up these parents that are putting their kids in harms way. And as far as the jet skis, damn it stay to the sides. Shit you only need 1 foot of water to drive in, why must you insist driving in middle of the river. Ahhhhhh I hate you jet skiers. I know why you guys end up broken and dead, bottom line is your are stupid.
    I may have been one of these people pulling tubers a time or two! Of all ages, our whole group loves to tube! Plus wake boarding, had our ULTRA custom built with a ski boat style interior.
    Just as stated above, the river is for ALL to enjoy!
    So you had to pull out of the throttle, well sucks to be you I guess.
    Just so everybody knows, the ENTIRE river is for recreation. This may include tubing, skiing and floating while swimming!
    However one thing the river IS NOT is a focking FREEWAY! Their are no speed limits, either maximum nor MINIMUM! If you are the skipper of an overtaking vessel it is YOUR responsibility to ensure the safety of BOTH vessels when overtaking and passing! I don't have the actual verb-age from the law, but it has been brought up in many other threads.
    Too many people I fear are only using the river to get to the sand bar and back, not true boaters and are missing the whole point!
    People talk about being inconsiderate to others and this is a prime example. Why not back it down until you can safely pass with out spoiling everyones fun.
    Being considerate of others starts with YOU!. When I am at the helm, I am always considerate of other boats and what they are doing. If I come up on a boat with a boarder or skier in the water and their is on coming traffic, I will stop if that is what is necessary to insure safety.
    And I would expect the same courtesy if I was the one in the water!
    I will give an example of what NOT to do, last summer we where just south of Needles, I was pulling my 9 year old daughter skiing at around 18 to 20 mph. It just so happens that we were approaching a wake board boat coming from the opposite direction with a boarder in tow. Well a jackass in a Carrera deck is coming up from the south, I see him and give him a wave, expecting him to slow and wait until my boat and the wake board boat is safely past each other. But no the asshole is pissed that he might have to slow down so he threads the needle going about 50 and then pours on the coal when he is up abreast of us while giving me the stink eye the whole time.
    And he had his whole family on board and they were being tossed around plenty from the combination of our wake and the other boats wake.
    I am telling you right now, if this jackass would have caused harm to come to my daughter, their would not be a safe place for this jack off to hide!
    Do you really want to turn the river into nothing more than a transportation corridor? Sure I like to open my boat up as much as the next guy, but only when it is safe to
    Maybe they should put an unlimited speed zone on lake Havasu like the one in Lake Elsinore? Would give these throttle jockeys somewhere to play!

2Driver
    The no wake section in the gorge is an awesome float area. Safe and beautifull.
    I was wondering if the tour boat actually slows to a no wake speed in there.
    We often grab the beach at the upper end for a few hours and get washed off when the tour boat comes by.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast