Thread: Nose Cones?????????

johnnyo
    Help!! I'm Looking For Info On Putting Nose Cones On My Alphas The Boat A 26 Ft Hustler Runs 72 On Gps Im Getting Mixed Info On Speed Gains I Hate To Waste Time Doing All This For No Good Results Anybody Can Help???? Thans Alot..johnnyo :

Tom Brown
    I run outboards and I've put nose cones on. They're pretty similar to an alpha, shape wise. If you're looking for process instructions, you may want to look here. (http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/i...p?showtopic=49)
    If I were you, however, I'd try to get a handle on other people's experience before I did it. On an outboard, a cone will slow you down a wee bit below certain speeds.
    It looks like a cone would reduce drag at all speeds but it obviously doesn't. At least, not on an outboard.

Havasu Hangin'
    I believe a nose cone adds surface area, which creates some drag (like Tom said...can slow you down).
    However, the blunter bullets (like an Alpha) will create a bubble around the propshaft, as the speed increases. If this bubble reaches the prop, your slip numbers will go up.
    If your top end prop slip numbers are OK...I'm not sure you'd see much of a gain, but I'm not an expert.
    I put a nosecone on my last boat...it's definately a PITA.