Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impeller install questions ??

Jeanyus
    I am trying to install a new Impeller. It goes on part way then it seems to stop going onto the shaft. I have been taping on it lightly with a plastic deadblow hammer. Are there any tricks to getting this thing on ?
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...w_impeller.jpg
    Is this an American Turbine impeller ?
    This is my old impeller. Is it a Berkeley? I notice quite a difference between the 2 impellers. Besides the work that has been done to the 1st one.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...berkeley_B.jpg
    I was told I would have to machine the impeller to install this bowl stuffer, is that true?
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...859stuffer.jpg
    And my final question, I have heard many conflicting stories on the bowl stuffer, a lot of people say they help very little if at all. I'm thinking about leaving the stuffer out for now.

Did you try test fitting the impeller(and checking the front clearance) WITHOUT the key on the shaft? I'm thinking as you are pushing the impeller on, it may be catching the key and driving it forward. This will make it wedge tight as the key climbs the ramp at the forward end of the keyway.BTW, I wouldn't force the impeller on. It will just result in a very difficult to remove impeller, or even a permanently damaged impeller.
    I've heard the same conflicting reports on the stuffer. Why not try it without to see what the new impeller gains you and then install the stuffer to see what you gain from that.

Make sure the shaft is clean and not burred, same goes with the impeller. make sure the key is not getting pushed foreward by the impeller, causing a bind. Set the impeller in your oven at about 120 degrees or so, and ice down the pump shaft. and give a go. You should be able to get the nut started atleast. Are you using anti-seize on the shaft? Yes... My 2 cents
    Slleek

Wally_Gator
    I will take a stab or two at this...
    One, Where is the wear ring? It looks as though you are missing the wear ring and installing the insulator over the old wear ring?
    I would also fathom a guess that the key is ramping up like oldsquirt said.

Wally Gator, that red ring looks like one of HTP's Ultimate wear rings.

Duane HTP
    Jeanyus read your PM.

Rondane
    I am trying to install a new Impeller. It goes on part way then it seems to stop going onto the shaft. I have been taping on it lightly with a plastic deadblow hammer. Are there any tricks to getting this thing on ?
    take a scuff pad and clean up any imperfections(or burrs) on the shaft and the inside eye of the impeller. Also, make sure the key slides in the keyway of the impeller(sometimes they wont slide thru but half way) Clean the key up with a cookie on the die grinder. Try putting the impeller on first without the key and then with it. Impeller should slide on by hand with no problem
    Is this an American Turbine impeller ?
    This is my old impeller. Is it a Berkeley? I notice quite a difference between the 2 impellers. Besides the work that has been done to the 1st one.
    Cant really tell from the pictures...is it a 3/4 ring with an sealing ring onthe back side or is it the standard 1 inch ring?
    I was told I would have to machine the impeller to install this bowl stuffer, is that true?
    You probably need to machine the stuffer as it's one of those "fits all" deals. Must have fell for the "WOW" factor eh? I wouldnt touch the impeller. Nice piece but needs mods to fit right. Use modeling clay and take measurements.
    And my final question, I have heard many conflicting stories on the bowl stuffer, a lot of people say they help very little if at all. I'm thinking about leaving the stuffer out for now.
    If you pump is tight, you wont notice much if at all. Maybe on a drag race deal if you looking for ET you would. Leave it out if you having trouble as it's better to do one change at a time instead of many.
    rondane

there are clearances that need to be checked there. you dont want to just pull one out and install another without checking your clearances. Impellers vary all over the place since people always hack on them obtain their clearances.
    Id listen to oldsquirt.
    looks like youve got Steelcomps old impeller.

Jeanyus
    I sanded the shaft and key with fine emery cloth, and got it to the piont where I could slide the impeller all the way on without the key, and almost all the way on with the key.
    I shimmed it to where I have .026 between the shoulder on the wear ring and the impeller.
    Thanks fir the tips. RZ
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7221b2.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
    looks like youve got Steelcomps old impeller. Now how would you know that ???
    Have you been looking up his pump ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast