Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a recipe to get 500 HP out of my 400 SBC

cfm
    I'm with Ryan pretty much.
    Since 500hp from a 400 is relatively easy with today's induction/cam packages people like think since it's easy that it must not be much power and therefore don't thing about the shortblock. Good machine work and a forged rotating assembly should be used, especially since this is in a boat.
    400cid or more loves airflow. 200-215cc heads (AFR, Brodix Track 1 and etc.)
    Good news you can make this power with 10:1 compression and 92-93 octane with no octane booster.
    500hp is not cheap but it is not killer $$ either - do not skimp.

steelcomp
    Ditto on the Hyper's. They're durable, but brittle, and don't take much in the way of detonation. The stock 400 crank should be fine with some decent prep, and good machine work on the block. Like CFM said, 500hp these days isn't radical, but will require some attention to detail, and a certain amount of investment to make sure you don't end up with a pile of scrap after a few hours. The other thing to keep in mind is where you want the 500 hp. It's all together different to build a 500hp circle track engine than a reliable marine engine with the power in a usable rpm range. Do your homework and get the right parts combination the first time and not have to spend wasted time and $$ re-doing things a second time around.
    Edited to add: The steam holes in the heads talked about above are a must with the 400 block.

TeamHawaiin
    Sorry it took me so long to get back with you guys, been busy getting a free 454 BBC out of an 86 motorhome, don't remember the brand. It was sitting for 15 years, but the motor does turn over. Previous owner put 100 k miles on it and parked it, got sick and left it his backyard. He passed on and relatives wanted it gone. This thing was trashed from mold and soft wood. It is a total scrap project. It was alot of work but a free 454 is hard to pass up. Plus a good chunk of change from scrap metal. So now it looks like that 400 can sit on the engine stand for something else. I starting to look at what I might need for the BBC. My boat presently has the 350 chevy so I know the BBC will bolt in its place but will I need a different PTO adapter ? I know what will hurt in cost is the OT Rewarder headers. I'll definately run the correct cam and intake. Any other major parts as far as coupling it to the pump I might need? :idea:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12