Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand-up jetski - what age???

RiverToysJas
    Recent tragedy aside.....Charley got me thinking about this....
    Does the thought of a 9yo navigating the river on stand-up jetski sound strange to anyone else?
    It takes practice and strength to get the hang of one of those things. It just doesn't sound right that a 9yo was cruising down river on one. As far as I know, it's not legal, not that that means it couldn't happen.
    I never owned a standup, but I've ridden them a few times when I was younger....does a 9yo on one sound strange to anyone else?
    Maybe kids that age ride them all the time, I'm just not aware of it.
    Thoughts???
    RTJas.

Mrs.Racer277
    Hubby and I debated this last night....We owned stand ups from 84 - 2000?
    I hated the river on my stand up. Toooo much work. I would not have kids on a ski on the weekends in Havi. Period End of Story. I did not think there was anything wrong with a Thursday though. Hubby said NO WAY!! 9 years old way to young. Only in a cove, away from others.

Cole Trickle
    Recent tragedy aside.....Charley got me thinking about this....
    Does the thought of a 9yo navigating the river on stand-up jetski sound strange to anyone else?
    It takes practice and strength to get the hang of one of those things. It just doesn't sound right that a 9yo was cruising down river on one. As far as I know, it's not legal, not that that means it couldn't happen.
    I never owned a standup, but I've ridden them a few times when I was younger....does a 9yo on one sound strange to anyone else?
    Maybe kids that age ride them all the time, I'm just not aware of it.
    Thoughts???
    RTJas.
    At 8 years old I was better than most adults on a stand up. We also ran in blythe where there were no 80 mph 30' boats.
    There were still accidents but nothing like today's events.
    I would let my kid ride in a cove or in a empty stretch of the lower river with me close by.Stand ups typically take skill and are much slower than the newer sit down skis. (I would never turn a young kid loose on a big weekend or ona busy part of the lake)

riverracerx
    I started riding a stand up jet ski in 1980. I was 9 years old. I became extremely proficient on it very quickly.
    Keep in mind in 1980 when I pulled the jet ski out of my dad's truck on the ramp people came over and asked what it was. When stopped at the gas station we had people asking where the snow was we were going to take that snowmobile to.
    There were ALOT less people on the water with much smaller, slower boats than these days.
    The motor in the ski was 400cc. Capable of approx 35mph.
    Like I said, I have been riding since I was 9 and I raced for over 8 years. I have the utmost respect for the HP to weight ratio these machines have. Especially the 250HP machines that do 70mph out of the box today.
    It is a different time, and no matter who you are, or what you are driving/riding... at 50mph anything that hits you will KILL you.

Cole Trickle
    I started riding a stand up jet ski in 1980. I was 9 years old. I became extremely proficient on it very quickly.
    Keep in mind in 1980 when I pulled the jet ski out of my dad's truck on the ramp people came over and asked what it was. When stopped at the gas station we had people asking where the snow was we were going to take that snowmobile to.
    There were ALOT less people on the water with much smaller, slower boats than these days.
    The motor in the ski was 400cc. Capable of approx 35mph.
    Like I said, I have been riding since I was 9 and I raced for over 8 years. I have the utmost respect for the HP to weight ratio these machines have. Especially the 250HP machines that do 70mph out of the box today.
    It is a different time, and no matter who you are, or what you are driving/riding... at 50mph anything that hits you will KILL you.
    Yep...I learned on the old school blue and white kawi 440. Still have a 550 and X2

riverracerx
    Shattered my fib/tib on an X2. Same year I took 3rd in the state on my Novice Limited.
    Drag that leg baby!

Dave C
    I've seen some teenagers operate watercraft more proficiently than some so called "adults"

Cole Trickle
    Shattered my fib/tib on an X2. Same year I took 3rd in the state on my Novice Limited.
    Drag that leg baby!
    The X2 has always been my favorite carver. It's a heavy pig but loves to lay on it's side.
    You get the check I mailed?

Mrs.Racer277
    I've seen some teenagers operate watercraft more proficiently than some so called "adults"
    I agree 100%

Danhercules
    Still have my 82 440. I rode it when I was 7 or so in the coves at Havasu. A little older in Laughlin and Bullhead all day long. If the child is instructed well on how to operate and the rules of the road err water, I think its fine. Yea, now days there is a law that makes it illigal, so I would not let my kid do it now unless in a cove with no one around.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast