Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: boat won't turn off

wright27
    I have bbc and rewired the boat using the diagram off cbbb. The boat starts but will not turn off when I turn off the key. I have obviously done something wrong. Any help would be great.

Sounds like your alternator is supplying power (directly) to the ignition circuit. Check to see that the ignition circuit ONLY goes thru the switch (or relay from the switch).

painterdan32
    I have bbc and rewired the boat using the diagram off cbbb. The boat starts but will not turn off when I turn off the key. I have obviously done something wrong. Any help would be great.
    I had the same problem with mine. Reverse your field and hot on your alternator. This worked for me. No, I didn't have a one wire system then. I had the two wire plug on the side of the alternator. Good luck!

Taylorman
    If you have an MSD ignition and your alternator exciter wire is on the same terminal on the key switch as the power wire to the MSD, thats your problem. I had the same problem. Put the alternator wire on another terminal on your key switch. My key has 2 switched power terminals so i could seperate the two wires.

MikeF
    Sounds like you do not have the "diode" inline w/ the wire to #1 terminal on the alternator. I had to make that same mod on mine cause it would not shut off too.:mix: It is a low voltage diode and I bought it at Radio Shack, but I do remember exactly which model # it is.
    Chris might chime in w/ the #.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Is it still running?

sdba069
    Two things......... 1.. Install a diode trio in line to keep alternator from feeding voltage back into ignition................ 2.. Have alternator converted to 1 wire setup. I highly recommend the 1 wire deal.

wright27
    Is it still running?
    no smart ass I pulled the coil wire, but thanks for asking.

wright27
    Two things......... 1.. Install a diode trio in line to keep alternator from feeding voltage back into ignition................ 2.. Have alternator converted to 1 wire setup. I highly recommend the 1 wire deal.
    I pulled this motor out of one of my other boats. The alternator has the plug on the side but the other boat only had wires from the nut on the back of the alternator. One went straight to the battery and the other to the ignition. nothing pluged in to the side. The wiring in this boat has the piece and the cbbb diagram shows it so i pluged it in. I am not good with wires as I am sure you all can tell. Can someone break this down in the simplest terms possible.

Squirtin Thunder
    Use the charge wire only and get a one wire alt.
    The big red one.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast