Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the impellar take a blower?

jrod
    Just wondering if me berkley with a fresh a aluminum impellar will take a 468 with a 6-71 blower making 650 hp? I know probably that hard launches are not going to help it. But can it live back there until I get a stainless?

SmokinLowriderSS
    I wouldn't get on it hard, at all.
    Get a mag/bronze and save some money.

IMPATIENT 1
    Just wondering if me berkley with a fresh a aluminum impellar will take a 468 with a 6-71 blower making 650 hp? I know probably that hard launches are not going to help it. But can it live back there until I get a stainless?
    I SPIN ONE WITH A 600HP BBF(800HP ON THE BOTTLE) AND MINES HELD UP AWHILE(3YRS SINCE REBUILD). IF HAD THE DOUGH, I'D BE RUNNIN A STAINLESS THOUGH. IT WOULDN'T BE A CONCERN FOR ME ANYMORE.MAYBE NEXT YR..

Heatseeker
    I've been spinning an aluminum AA 6300 rpm for three seasons behind a blower motor.
    One thing that will kill an aluminum impeller is the full throttle re-loads. If the pump unloads at WFO, when you re-load it with water, there's no way that it's going to load evenly. Loaded unevenly, an impeller will be seriously out of balance. An aluminum impeller doesn't have the strength to hold that big of an imbalance and the next thing you know, you're looking for your paddle.
    So, I'm very selective where and when I'll really lay into the thing. If there's a hint of rough water, I try to take it easy. That's not to say that I haven't unloaded my pump under heavy throttle a couple of times, it's nearly unavoidable. But I have been lucky thus far.
    So, in answer to you question, yes, an aluminum impeller can live with a blower motor. Recommended? Not by most pros.

sdba069
    Smart money is a mag bronze or SS. Not to say you might get by for a while, but odds are against you. The 2 phrases, "blown big block in a jet boat", and " take it easy", have no business in the same story.

Heatseeker
    ...The 2 phrases, "blown big block in a jet boat", and " take it easy", have no business in the same story.
    I know, I know ...
    I'm waiting on an Aggresser M/B right now. I know I've been on borrowed time since putting this thing together. It was a $$$(lack of) thing!

TIMINATOR
    As long as the pump stays loaded, there is no problem using an aluminum impeller. If it unloads going down the lake, add more loader or shoe. It will live just fine. I ran over 900 HP for 3 years on an aluminum, BUT my setup was correct, and it never unloaded unless I hit a big wake. I got out of it on re-entry. I ran the crap out of it, just ask the Phoenix crowd, no problems. TIMINATOR

sdba069
    As long as the pump stays loaded, there is no problem using an aluminum impeller. If it unloads going down the lake, add more loader or shoe. It will live just fine. TIMINATOR
    Now that's a quote to live by. Example........ Right after "it unloaded going down the lake"........ Man, if only I had more loader and/or shoe or I had installed an impeller of adequate strength to handle my HP or any freak circumstance that might befall me, drunk or sober, my impeller wouldn't have come apart after I came off that roller and the pump loads back at 7500 RPM. I thought I was out of it enough. I wonder what a new bowl is going to cost, because the shrapnel from the impeller took out half the vanes in the bowl. Then, not realizing the damage that had been done in the pump, I hit the gas again and between the over rev, due to lack of impeller blades, and the severe vibration due to due to the same, the motor came apart. This being said, COMMON SENSE suggests that I spend a little extra money, as soon as I can afford it, on an adequate impeller. And Timinator...... if you've gotten by with 900 HP for that long, you are either very lucky, which is good, or you might want to take another look at your HP numbers. I'm really starting to enjoy conflict.

steelcomp
    Now that's a quote to live by. Example........ Right after "it unloaded going down the lake"........ Man, if only I had more loader and/or shoe or I had installed an impeller of adequate strength to handle my HP or any freak circumstance that might befall me, drunk or sober, my impeller wouldn't have come apart after I came off that roller and the pump loads back at 7500 RPM. I thought I was out of it enough. I wonder what a new bowl is going to cost, because the shrapnel from the impeller took out half the vanes in the bowl. Then, not realizing the damage that had been done in the pump, I hit the gas again and between the over rev, due to lack of impeller blades, and the severe vibration due to due to the same, the motor came apart. This being said, COMMON SENSE suggests that I spend a little extra money, as soon as I can afford it, on an adequate impeller. And Timinator...... if you've gotten by with 900 HP for that long, you are either very lucky, which is good, or you might want to take another look at your HP numbers. I'm really starting to enjoy conflict.
    Garry, I think you'll find that Timo is the exception to most everything.
    Welcome to the dark side. :skull: :argue:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Let me sum this up really quick. This is what happens when you unload and reload an aluminum impeller at WOT!!!!! Notice in the last pic that there are grooves cut in the backside of the impeller. That is from the torque of the motor flexing the impeller and making contact with the bowl......
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...239peller6.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...239peller4.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...239peller3.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...239peller2.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...239peller1.jpg

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast