Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: boat won't turn off

NJBA Donut Club
    Is your refrigerator running too, you better catch it.

Moneypitt
    Simple, simple, simple........What resistor, where? I've wired at least 100 charging systems and NEVER added a resistor to any of them, anywhere, EVER.......a simple one wire alternator is nothing more than a GM intergral alternator with a jumper wire to the ingniton side of the dual wire clip in. If the alternator is "all" there, you're done. If you need to add a resistor anywhere in the circuit, please contact general motors and let them know where the "resistor" is needed, cause they need to recall about a bazillion vehicles right away........MP

boater012
    hey wright my dad lives in palmdale and im really good with electrical i run my own shop i am going to visit my father this coming weekend when the rain lets up i can come by and diagnose/ repair this for at no charge if youd like i can bring a diode and some other PROPS to teach you the basics it only takes a few if youre a smart guy youll pick it up quickly. again i wont charge you anything for the repair or the lesson ill be off of avenue r-8 over in the hood just pm me with your address and phone number and ill swing by if youll be around! let me know asap because i will take my mobile shop truck instaed of my hotrod when i go if you want the assistance!

inwo
    Simple, simple, simple........What resistor, where? I've wired at least 100 charging systems and NEVER added a resistor to any of them, anywhere, EVER.......a simple one wire alternator is nothing more than a GM intergral alternator with a jumper wire to the ingniton side of the dual wire clip in. If the alternator is "all" there, you're done. If you need to add a resistor anywhere in the circuit, please contact general motors and let them know where the "resistor" is needed, cause they need to recall about a bazillion vehicles right away........MP
    Bingo!
    As an ee I was wondering where this was going. Hoping for a diagram of that resistor circuit to see what GM forgot.
    I do know a type alternator with a positive "common field" connection that could feed back into ignition circuit, but only if miswired.

sdba069
    Hey Moneypitt........ I see that resistor deal occassionally and it does work. Simply install a resistor in the exciter wire and that won't allow enough voltage back from the alternator to power the ignition after the switch is turned off, but will allow enough to excite the alternator. Not our usual method but it does work.

wright27
    Here is the wiring diagram I followed. It calls for a ballast resistor between the ignition wireon the #4post on the terminol block to the wire that runs from the r starter and the positive wire to the coil. I put that in and everything works fine so far. This diagram is what I followed to the exact.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...id=11573&stc=1

sdba069
    That wasn't what I was referring to but see why it would do the job. The applications I referred to were electronic ignitions which didn't require the use of a resistor in the primary ignition wire. The resistor was actually installed in the wire running from the #1 post on the alternator. If you notice in the wire running from the #4 terminal to the alternator, you'll see the presence of a diode, which is what I was referring to in an earlier post. That is the normal fix.

wright27
    hey wright my dad lives in palmdale and im really good with electrical i run my own shop i am going to visit my father this coming weekend when the rain lets up i can come by and diagnose/ repair this for at no charge if youd like i can bring a diode and some other PROPS to teach you the basics it only takes a few if youre a smart guy youll pick it up quickly. again i wont charge you anything for the repair or the lesson ill be off of avenue r-8 over in the hood just pm me with your address and phone number and ill swing by if youll be around! let me know asap because i will take my mobile shop truck instaed of my hotrod when i go if you want the assistance!
    sent you a pm

Moneypitt
    All that terminal does is feed full battery voltage to the coil while cranking, only. If you run an ignition thru a ballast resistor to reduce the voltage to the coil, then it will be further reduced while using the battery for cranking. The lead you refer to mearly bypasses the ballast while cranking......MP

boater012
    replied to your p.m.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast