Thread: Fuel per hour question.

Danhercules
    If I burn 330 lbs of fuel per hr though my carb, I need to pump a min of 47 GPM, right? So a 130 GPM pump should be just fine, right?

Sleeper CP
    Dan just make sure you run -8 fuel lines from the tank, filter and regulator for a little safety margin.
    Fiction (Friction) loss is a big thing in fuel systems. A boat with much shorter runs than a car and less turns and bends can get away with the smaller pumps with out a problem. A 130-140 pump should be fine.
    What pump were you going to run?
    p.s. Sorry about that "friction"
    Sleeper CP
    565" Ford Lover, 1,000+ HP safely used since 1992

Danhercules
    There is a mech 130gph pump on there now.
    My next quesiton, I should see a drop in fuel pressure if the pump/supply cannot keep up, right?

The calculation (as I understand it) is based on 6#/gal for gasoline. 330/6=55 GPH 55/60=.91666 gpm. I doubt you'll be dumping (literally) almost 1 gal per minute into your engine, so theoretically you have a large safety factor.
    Or not.....

steelcomp
    Dan just make sure you run -8 fuel lines from the tank, filter and regulator for a little safety margin.
    Fiction loss is a big thing in fuel systems. A boat with much shorter runs than a car and less turns and bends can get away with the smaller pumps with out a problem. A 130-140 pump should be fine.
    What pump were you going to run?
    Sleeper CP
    565" Ford Lover, 1,000+ HP safely used since 1992It's not fiction, it really is true. Honest.

Sleeper CP
    My next quesiton, I should see a drop in fuel pressure if the pump/supply cannot keep up, right?
    Dan, in the past on the 565 incher at the front fuel bowl opposite from where the fuel line connects I have a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge connected to that side of the carb.
    When something was not right with the system it showed up right there at the float bowl.
    So the answer is: if you can feed 7 psi to the carb you should be okay.
    At least I was.
    Sorry that's "friction loss" the comic edit police got me nice line btw
    Sleeper

steelcomp
    My next quesiton, I should see a drop in fuel pressure if the pump/supply cannot keep up, right?With a mechanical pump that has a preset presure, I'd be looking into the pump's bypass, but technically this is correct. If you have a regulator, and you're losing pressure, try removing the regulator first, then check pressure. It's doubtful you're out-running a 130gph pump unless your supply lines are a mess. Might check the filter if you have one.

Danhercules
    I have not even ran it in the boat yet. I just wanna make sure everything is gonna be ok. I have a pressure gauge on the dash. Along with a boost and egt I am not useing.
    I think I will be fine. Just crossing T's and dotting i's

502 JET
    Dan,
    How are your fuel tank/tanks vented?
    At w.o.t. that engine is drinking a lot of fuel and needs proper tank venting
    to get it.
    I ran a -6 hose from the top of my tanks to a breather tank/catch can for vents. I had no venting before. Just the flip top fuel fills. Which I cant understand how they can let air into the tanks cause if they did it would let water in too.
    I used a tank like this.
    http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/tanks/23030.jpg

Danhercules
    They are vented fine. I had a problem fillin the boat cause no vents. Tom Papp hooked me up and now its got huge vents!