Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ran Out of Fuel

shrek
    If you run out of fuel on the road and are having trouble restarting this is what you can do . Take a rag and get it damp with gasoline. open up your air filter box and hold the rag inside the opening of the intake pipe. Have someone turn the truck over and let it huff some gas fumes it should start up and prime the fuel system pretty quick. Hold on to the rag real tight because those turbos suck pretty hard. This may not be the best way to restart them but it can get you out of a bind pretty quick.
    That would be a perfectly acceptable procedure if you were starting a 1947 Cat D8, but I would not try that with any modern engine.
    Shrek

DEMOMAN
    [QUOTE=Baja Big Dog;2803599]HOLY SHIT...NOOOOOOOOTHIS IS A GREAT WAY TO SEE HOW FAR YOU AIR FILTER WILL FLY!! You have to be careful when using ANYSTARTING ASSISTANT FLUIDS (EITHER, GAS SOAKED RAGS ETC.) you will see Jesus real fast when you glow plugs turn on. Thats why the stickers all over the newer trucks...NO EITHER. If you know how to do it it works, but if you not familuar don't try it!!!
    A lot of "old" starting methods worked fine on larger trucks, and grandpa's tractor, but not on the moder glow plug motors!![/QUOTE
    Like I said, not the best way but it can get you out of a bind. Its not safe to lite your campfire with gas either but I am not going to rub sticks together all day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234