Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boating in Big Bear. Pro's & Con's

jrgaudettes
    we are heading to the cabin also we ussually rent a crappy pontoon for four hours it is cheaper than gas to go to the river to pick up the boat. and very relaxing to use it and drop it off. Check out the rentals before you drag your boat up there.
    P.s.
    Do not go around the small island near the dam there are shallow rocks on the back side of the abandoned resort.
    good luck
    P.C.
    Thx, Probally use his pontoon as its already there. Thanks for the info on the rocks.

Riomouse911
    Re Big Bear, the weeds can get really think on the prop, so bring a knife to cut them free. And the area near the Morrison launch area (The N/E corner, closest to the airport I believe?) used to be shallow and rocky. I was waist deep about 125' from shore once about 4 years back. Hopefully the lake level is higher now than it was then.
    Other than that, it's a good time!

77charger
    We went out there last month.Was pretty cool never boated there before weather was great water cold.We launched at the north shore ramp it can get crowded from what i saw but some people have no launching skills which made my wait pretty long.
    My motor is carbed and did not have any problems running rich but like any non turboed,supercharged motor with altitude your power drops off.
    We got our permit at the launch ramp also very easy process just pull up and pay.

2forcefull
    Hey Brian, after Memorial Day and the 4th in Havasu we needed a break.
    I changed my cell # I will forward the new one.
    We were in Havasu last week Thur-Sun.
    Leo
    Hey Leo, fun talk'n with you guys
    Hope you're over the I'm sell'n the boat deal
    you got a cool boat!!!

riverbound
    My family has been boating up there for almost 30 years. We mainly just pntoon it up there as we have one up there already. during the afternoon hours the wind picks up and does get a little choppy on the lake. If you do bring your boat and have a size or 2 smaller prop, you will have a great time. Carb'd boats have a harder time in the elevation. the lanuch ramps do fill up early so its best to luanch early. It is definitely a change of scenery up there and for the most part the cops leave you alone.
    I would drag my boat up there, but having the toon up there makes things much easier (we also have a permanent mooring), so we dont have to deal with the launch lines.

selfmade
    Cool Leo What time should I be there

Dan Lorenze
    My inlaws have a house up in Big Bear, we've been taking the boat up there for the last couple of summers. Most have touched on the pros and cons. For me the best thing about Big Bear lake is that it's just different. It's not the river and it's not Havasu. It doesn't get that hot and even on a crouded day it doesn't take too long to pull the boat out. Even though the speed limit is 35 you'll still have a good time the lake's really not that big anyway to haul ass. Leo's pretty much leave you alone too. There's a nice little beach right next to Garstin Island that we go to, we bring lunch and our fishing poles and play our music. If you decide to go up there with your boat you'll probably have the nicest boat on the water, lots of fishing boats and Bayliner types. The drive from the back way is simple (18), just a few easy miles up the twisties and you're there.. Permits are easily purchased at many places, and I've never been asked for insurance. Basically the only real down falls are that the lake is always a bit choppy and the fumes from my poorly jetted Demon carb gasses us out at idle but not worth my time and effort to rejet for only a few hours of operation. I might see you there for Labor day.
    Dan

jrgaudettes
    My inlaws have a house up in Big Bear, we've been taking the boat up there for the last couple of summers. Most have touched on the pros and cons. For me the best thing about Big Bear lake is that it's just different. It's not the river and it's not Havasu. It doesn't get that hot and even on a crouded day it doesn't take too long to pull the boat out. Even though the speed limit is 35 you'll still have a good time the lake's really not that big anyway to haul ass. Leo's pretty much leave you alone too. There's a nice little beach right next to Garstin Island that we go to, we bring lunch and our fishing poles and play our music. If you decide to go up there with your boat you'll probably have the nicest boat on the water, lots of fishing boats and Bayliner types. The drive from the back way is simple (18), just a few easy miles up the twisties and you're there.. Permits are easily purchased at many places, and I've never been asked for insurance. Basically the only real down falls are that the lake is always a bit choppy and the fumes from my poorly jetted Demon carb gasses us out at idle but not worth my time and effort to rejet for only a few hours of operation. I might see you there for Labor day.
    Dan
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking the 18 also.
    What you said about the lake is what we are looking for, a nice relaxing holiday weekend on the water, plus I grew up in New Hampshire so a little cold water wont bother me.

jrgaudettes
    Cool Leo What time should I be there
    Stanley, you and the family are always welcome.

meaniam
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking the 18 also.
    What you said about the lake is what we are looking for, a nice relaxing holiday weekend on the water, plus I grew up in New Hampshire so a little cold water wont bother me.
    there you have it the 26 foot limit. weather someone enforces it or not. i never needed to worry. it does get wind everyday in the afternoon. it would be awesome watching the thunderstorms build. it never go towards the airport side of the lake. so i never dealt with the weeds. which 90% of the lake wont be a problem. water has warmed up the past month. the boats do lose a bit of power. you wont be going like a mad man anyways up there. either way you will have fun in big bear.
    the forth of july firework show is one of the best up there with the echos and everything

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast