Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have the best job in the world

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    While many of you would probably think working with middle schoolers is crazy, I have to say, every day I think, "I can't believe they pay me to do this!" The kids are so awesome. As many of you know, last year was my first year teaching full time. I always thought that I would hate doing middle school. No intentions whatsoever even though I went through a middle school credential program (one of only 2 in the whole state). I always thought they were too immature, and that I was made for high school. I'm still trying to get over to the high school, but only because my kids are and will be going there.
    Anyway. . .
    Last June I got hired at the middle school 9 miles from my house (tough commute LOL) and thoroughly fell in love with the kids. Then at the end of last year I wondered, "How can I possibly enjoy next years kids as much as these guys?" But then, like a second child, you just do. They are just so funny. They still want a mommy-teacher, but they also want to be treated like an adult. It is a fine line to walk, but I really love doing it. I have students from last year coming in to hang out before school starts. They ask if I need help prepping for the day. That right there tells me that I was able to reach them. Another student today ( a new 7th grader) got lost with the crazy minimum day schedule. He messed up and went to 1st lunch, then couldn't find his P.E. teacher because they were all out on the field. He didn't know where else to go, so he came to my class. I guess he felt comfortable enough in the atmosphere I have created to walk into 36 students he didn't know and say "I don't know what's going on." So he stayed in my class through second lunch and I emailed his PE teacher later. It all worked out.
    But just knowing that you are that "safe" spot for a child is extremely rewarding. I seriously have the best job in the world.
    Please, if you think your job is the best, please share why.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Oh yeah, and I get two months off in the summer.

rrrr
    Being around 7th graders all day prolly helps you deal with Jeff......

Ziggy
    Being around 7th graders all day prolly helps you deal with Jeff......
    LOL, that's the best smile I've had in days

XtrmWakeborder
    Umm I got to go wakebording, the aquarium, Angels games, bowling, the queen mary, and firm sponsered drinks after work on a few of those days. Pretty cool job, but it's only for the summer....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    That sounds pretty damm good. Hope your gig pays better than mine does.

The Doctor
    Thank Heavens there are people like you who love what they do! I've heard a lifetime of whining about people and their jobs (mostly because they feel they must compare theirs to "their perception" of all the others' who, on the outside looking in, seem so superior.) It's just very refreshing to hear your excitement about working with our future. It sure gives me hope. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
    oh, by the way, I sell land and absolutely love what I do. I get to be a part of having people's dreams come true.

DILLIGAF
    I remember an old friend of mine that was a long term sub before she got hired to teach middle school. She was on a high and told me about this old vetran teacher (female) that told her.................
    "While I admire your energy that you show for your job be forewarned....They will eventually steal your soul"
    lol
    That lady needed to retire....and shit

jeepinscott
    Angie,
    I wish that all teachers had the attitude you have about your job. I am so glad you love your job. That makes it easier on the kids, you, your family and so on. I wish you a successful school year. I wish I had a teacher like you in middle school!
    -MrsJeepinscott

XtrmWakeborder
    That sounds pretty damm good. Hope your gig pays better than mine does.
    Not too bad, but i'm guessing you aren't teaching because of the pay...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast