Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What intake/parts to use?

ck7684
    Why arent the bowtie intakes aluminum? The Edelbrock RPM Airgap has shown an increase in torque/hp due to the cooling effect of the gap. Not sure if for you it would be worth swapping or not. I had a really great article about this intake but I lost it. Here's one from Popular Hot Rodding...
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec..._intake_manifo ld_tech/
    I will keep looking for it...
    An MSD ignition system is also a great addition. Not exactly for more HP, but better starting, driving etc. It may seem like you have more HP with one of these!! As long as you go with a capacitive discharge type (6A) and not the 5A models...

cfm
    Why arent the bowtie intakes aluminum?
    Made mostly for marine manufacturers. Volvo Penta uses it in huge #'s. Merc on just a few different engines. It looks like Hardin also used it.
    We use it for restricted rules (ie: cast iron intake rule) all the time. Again, it's a great intake.
    If you want to knock off some heat and keep the exhaust pulses from going from one cyl to the next, use Fel-Pro 1204 intake gaskets. They have solid metal shields that block these passages off. Will have to remove choke.
    One step further - even though this intake a has a metal heat shield under plenum in lifter valley area - you can install a Moroso or Canton lifter valley heat shield. Keeps hot oil from further heating up intake. Not a real big deal, but we do it of course in the race motors where every little thing helps. These only fit over flat tappet lifters - not hyd rollers.
    BTW: Cast iron is more resistant to getting hot than aluminum. Yes, they still get pretty hot, just not as much.

Thanks guy's, I really appreciate ALL your input. I'm on record mode right now. I've just done some mods recently. Rebuilt the Holley, installed a hydro Place diverter, Bandog diverter relay and SE ramp loader and a large rudder,(sorry to you non-rudder guys, I'm a puss.) I'm here at the houseboat, waiting to test the boat on Saturday morning. This boating stuff is getting expensive, the houseboat's 7.5 Kohler generator went out and the starboard engine quit. I'm sure nothing major, waterpump or blockage on the generator and a electrical failure on the starboard engine. Probably the harness, I hope. It's the internal technical stuff that I don't know. Diagnosis of this stuff, won't be hard. (famous last words)

Ran the boat on Saturday, man it was great. I came back to this post because I had the engine specs with max RPM'S. I noticed with the addition of the ramp loader and rebuilding the carb , I now have about 5400 RPM'S, I don't recall if it changed with trim up or down. Before the ramp loader, it was about 43-4400 RPM'S max. Is this due to the ramp loader?

Ran the boat on Saturday, man it was great. I came back to this post because I had the engine specs with max RPM'S. I noticed with the addition of the ramp loader and rebuilding the carb , I now have about 5400 RPM'S, I don't recall if it changed with trim up or down. Before the ramp loader, it was about 43-4400 RPM'S max. Is this due to the ramp loader?
    If your RPM's went up, this is not good. This equals cavitation to the impeller, a 1000 rpm jump is way too much cavitation. Cavitation on an aluminum impeller will eat the impeller blades away, much less of a problem on a stainless impeller but still wears on them. What type loader did you buy? if it's a blocker loader, you may need to get an open loader, to get the rpm's back incheck.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3...0603um1.jpgRan the boat again on Sunday, turns out my over forty eyes aren't what they used to be. She's running 4400 RPM, I thought it was 5500. It has a SE loader, next size up from stock. Had the wife take a couple of pictures while at speed. Having a bitch of a time sealing the loader, keep taking on water. What do you guys use to seal the loader. Silicone isn't getting it. I was told of 3M 54 or 5200? http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7157/dsc00585ca2.jpg

ck7684
    Nice pics!! BTW, I love your boat!!

Thanks CK, I'm really getting hooked on this thing. I just bought it in June, as a addition to our houseboat, instead of a jetski. It's one of the cleanest 1988's I've seen. All the places i've been, it always gets positive comments. For 19 years old, it's extremely clean, the trailer, unfortunately isn't as nice as the boat. I have a walk-out basement that I plan on putting the boat in this winter and polish all that I can, while I send the trailer out to be painted. We named it: Sweet Little Sixteen. http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2...sc00595oj4.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12