Thread: Time to build another motor

78BubbleDeck
    So I pulled my boat out storage today, dusted it off, and started by pulling out my dead 454.
    Steve (Laid Back Boaters) and I put this motor in last year, and seeing as how it was a junkyard motor to begin with, I took a gamble. I lost.
    One sunny trip to the lake last year, the oil pressure droped quickly and the motor began to drag down to lower rpms. It made no knocking noises, so I changed the oil when I got home, and it was making 80psi again. Next trip, July 4th, in the middle of the lake, it started to knock, oil pressure went to 0-5psi, and now it was dragging very hard. I had to run it for a minute or so to get back to the ramp. I have not touched it again until today.
    I never have had a motor rebuilt. Now my question is, how do I decide which machine shop to go to? What machinery should I be looking for? What questions should I ask? It seems like everyone I talk to in my area has a different opinion. I want the motor built from pan to intake. The top end (heads, cam, lifters, roller rockers, timing chain) is all new on this motor. I put only 5 hours or so on them. Oh yah, and the block is a 4 bolt main :rollside:
    And any info or opinions on machine shops in sonoma county, california, would be great.
    Thanks,
    Louis

Cas
    Dammit man, will you finally listen and take it to LJ's in Napa! John does excellent work and knows his sh*t....been doing it for 30 some odd years. Metcalf's in Rohnert Park is good also but I can't find their info in the phone book anymore.
    As far as that junk yard motor, you wanted it for Memorial Day weekend and it got you through that with flying colors. It was the other few trips that you pushed it a little too much

78BubbleDeck
    Hey steve, How are you?
    Not knockin our last minute job ;-) Thanks again by the way, Memorial day was great.
    As for Metcalf's, they came highly recommended from another friend as well.
    Can I buy your thru transom headers yet
    Louis

Cas
    headers, maybe I'll just sell you the whole engine j/k
    actually, check this out Bad Ass Racing Engines (http://www.badasscars.com), he's right around the corner from me and does excellent work. Arron just had a huge write up in the Index-Tribune here in Sonoma....2 full pages on his accomplishments.
    Check out his engine link and then the pricing page. I think you'd do well with his 450-530 hp BBC build. I'm sure your cost would be less just because you wouldn't need all the stuff included.