Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me about Jeeps!

PaPaG
    82 CJ8...curries front and rear....Corvette LT1 on nutrous...4L60 auto....who cares how smooth it rides!!!
    Get in...sit down...and shut the fock up and dont scream like a girl on her first period!!!
    Yeah as long as the brother in law lets you drive it while you wait, lol You know I had to take a stab at it Big Dog...

PaPaG
    I like the old school jeeps, 78 CJ7 with a 304 and TH400 auto, rough ride, classic looks, fun to drive...or go old man..97+ If I were to buy a newer one I would go Rubicon, Danas, lockers front and rear, 4:1 crawl, great ride, plenty of power when geared, chipped and a few other minor mods....hard top, auto and air...go play then drive it home in comfort..Waiting for a 5.7 hemi conversion soon.....

Sportin' Wood
    $10,000 gets you a lot of Jeep.
    The one above seems a fair deal.
    TJ 97 later as suggested, but making big motor mods is a pain in the newer ones, I doubt you would try what we did.
    YJ's all years is the best deal for your money currently. Jeeps ride waves of value. I watched CJ 7's going for cheap in the 90's because everyone wanted CJ 5's now CJ 7 seemed to be over priced. I don't buy into the coils are better thing. The coil suspension is nice but has a few down sides. If not lifted properly you can get all sorts of handling issues. Leaf springs are easy, and contrary to what you read on here, I have a leaf spring front suspension buggy that will out perform any TJ. Fast or slow.
    It all depends what you want to do with the Jeep Rick, Mall crawler get a TJ and bolt on all the aftermarket crap you want. If you want to really go wheeling you might consider something older with really good running gear, like BBdogs. The TJ axles are weak at best, but so are most all the stock Jeep axles. Rubicon 44's are over rated as they are a hybred 44 and 30 on the front so the outter's are still fairly weak.
    I race a 1999 TJ with the 6cyl, and 33" tires. we have on a modified version of the Rubicon Express Long arm Unlimited suspension, and King triple bypass shocks. Best I have been able to do across open desert is 68.8 MPH. My Buggy with Leaf springs on the front no by passes and a V8, can get about 80 MPH.
    Call me Rick If you need anything.

OGShocker
    Rick,
    Bobby will be in town this weekend. If you would like to test drive our Jeep, feel free. It is NOT for sale but, it will give you an idea of what you wanna look for.
    Mark

Stoneman
    Might want to consider a Toyota Land Cruiser, for 10k you could get a 96-97 with factory lockers. These are tanks and by far the best TLC's made. Most have yet to see the dirt, plus they can hold up to 7 peeps and still tow 5k. Any unlike a jeep they are very very reliable.

nodigg
    Thanks for all the replies. Guess I should have stated, I want to cruise around Havi, do some light off roading, (trails), Baja into town vehicle, tow behind the rig occasionaly and sometimes parts runner.
    I test drove a few and the 99 I drove today was ALL over the road. The guy kept trying to tell me thats the way Jeeps are. I call B.S.! This thing has some BIG issues with handling. I tried a manual 4 cylinder...not too bad..I like auto & 6 cyl better but, why don't they come with lockers? or do they?

Ralph Brunt
    j-just
    e-empty
    e-every
    p-pocket

Baja Big Dog
    Thanks for all the replies. Guess I should have stated, I want to cruise around Havi, do some light of roading, (trails), Baja into town vehicle, tow behind the righ occasionaly and soemtimes parts runner.
    I test drove a few and the 99 I drove today was ALL over the road. The guy kept trying to tell me thats the way Jeeps are. I call B.S.! This thing has some BIG issues with handling. I tried a manual 4 cylinder...not too bad..I like auto & 6 cyl better but, why don't they come with lockers? or do they?
    Do NOT get the 4 banger.......dont care how many gears you have.

CAHotRodBoy
    why don't they come with lockers? or do they?
    You can get aftermarket lockers. I'm running an OX Locker in the front and a Detroit in the rear w/ 4.56 gears. Pretty easy install.

2Driver
    Might want to consider a Toyota Land Cruiser, for 10k you could get a 96-97 with factory lockers. These are tanks and by far the best TLC's made. Most have yet to see the dirt, plus they can hold up to 7 peeps and still tow 5k. Any unlike a jeep they are very very reliable.
    Yep after 3 CJ's and 3 TJ's I made the switch to a 97 TLC with factory lockers. Lots of up side over the jeep ( Power, room ride) but nothing beats at day on the trail with the top off and you cant do that in TLC without a cutsall

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast